High Tide Aquatics

Best way to eradicate anthellia from rock?

It's come time to stop the slow but steady growth of anthelia on 1 of my main rocks and before it spreads to other rocks and gets to my chalice. I want to eradicate it once and for all. Since the rock is about the size of a large dinner plate, I can take it out and do any/ either of the following:
Dunk anthelia half of rock in boiling water, leave in vinegar to soak, leave in freshwater or bleach to soak? Anything else? Bleach scares me since I worry about residual leeching, maybe I shouldn't be worried though. Has anyone dealt with this problem and have suggestions? I've briefly tried brushing & scraping but can't get all of it and it just comes back.

Love to BAR undata motipora on top!

eeeks best would be to break the rock and sacrifice the anthellia portion.

Ouch! I'd like to save the rock if possible since it's part of the aquascape and fits other rocks on top of it. But if that's the sure fire way I'd rather do that and buy a new rock than have a continual problem.

You can peel it off with the use of as stainless steel propagation tool. I used to have that problem too :D, just make sure to peel/or cut off all of the tissues or it will return.

getting all the tissue can be hard if you have very porous rock :( Super glue helps make sure it doesn't come back out of the hole though :lol:

I tried the 'anthelia soup' approach. Dunked it in boiling water for a few minutes and brushed it off the rock. It looks like I got it all since it came off pretty easy, but I'll keep an eye out for surviving pieces.
Vodka seems like a waste for such a common coral, better to use Vodka for humans. :D

you should have just traded it in to a lFS for a new rock and they could have sold the coral, but I guess you wanted the rock

I did the boil then brush vigorously treatment and it seemed to work. The rock is all but clean and only a couple little pieces remained afterwards. I removed the little pieces and I think I got it all. I'm not sure if the boiling helped with the brushing, but it did come off fairly easily. Here's an after pic, with only slight damage to favia & chalice. So far so good.....

Back