Our mission

Black Box LED Light Question

Hi guy's,
I want to get a light and I know you guys will recommend a Radion or Kessil light but I don't have the money for something like that at this time.

And that's why I was looking on ebay to find something and here are some lights that I saw and I see that they have a lot of sales and the sellers has good reviews. Also some of the lights have 3 years warranty.
I have a 75 G tank.

I was thinking that I might get 1 300W or 2 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Reef Marine Coral
link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-D...-Full-Spectrum-Reef-Marine-Coral/263958392941

Or maybe 1 or 2 165 W of:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIPARSPECT...m-Light-Full-Spectrum-Reef-Coral/181275113350

Or maybe you guys have tried another product that has decent results. Post your comment bellow :p.
I'm sure that are others that might wonder the same thing.

and the sellers has good reviews.
I'd really take those ratings with a grain of salt, thousands upon thousands of positive reviews with very few negative reviews. I think only Saddam Hussein had a better rating when he "won" the election with 100% of the votes.

I think the light you have is fine. Why do you think you need to change it? I would suggest you borrow the PAR meter before spending on something different, and likely unnecessary.

OK I will try to borrow the PAR meter and test the light and see what I get.
Then I will check to see if my corals would be ok good Suggestion! Thank you.

Pull the PAR figures first, but if you're going to spend that kind of money, consider the 36" Aquatic Life hybrid fixture. You get 4xT5 and then you can add in your LED options later. The light will allow you to grow into as you consider your options down the line (Kessils, Radions, AI, etc.).

I think the light you have is fine. Why do you think you need to change it? I would suggest you borrow the PAR meter before spending on something different, and likely unnecessary.
Yeah what lights do you have currently?

An unfortunate dark side of this hobby is that it tends to make people think they need stuff that they don't whether it's that new Limited Edition JF Walletraper coral, or fancy new pumps or lights because "it's in now". Do you have a tank thread up? Lets see what you got before asking recommendations of one thing vs. another.

Both of these two lights are good. I know several folks in r2r who are using it and happy with it. It wont be like kessil, but it will be just fine to grow SPS. Folks have also modded them for dimming with controllers, to get sunrise to sunset effect.

If you have a hood over the tank you don't even need to buy those retrofit fixtures, just do it yourself with parts.

That's true, but I believe the reflectors on the Reef Brites are far superior and that makes a huge difference. Plus their fixtures are easily expandable to a few different LED options including the great XHO's.

Back