Reef nutrition

Bleeding Apple Scoly Fragging?

salty_taste

Social
BOD
Hey Everyone!

I was reaching out to see if anyone has experience with fragging Scolys, Homophyllia australis! Was curious of heal time to turn back into a donut, strategies when fragging, and feedback on the growth pattern of color.

I have a bleeding apple scoly and wanted to turn it into a project coral! From researching online, I noticed that if you frag through the mouth and include the green and red/orange DNA, the piece that is growing back will take on those characteristics. My goal is to see, if there is a way for it to grow back with more striped pattern that what I have now and keep the orange edge!

Very on edge to do so as this since it was a dream coral of mine to finally own so not in a rush to cut it LOL

A928EA3F-A2E5-4996-87C8-C0B5046E0EF0.JPG

I've watched these and they are very informative on this subject. The guy in the video is an MD and knows his stuff. Also, one of the few reefers I think feeds the tank enough.

If it is a dream coral, I would leave it alone.

I've watched these and they are very informative on this subject. The guy in the video is an MD and knows his stuff. Also, one of the few reefers I think feeds the tank enough.

If it is a dream coral, I would leave it alone.
Thank you for the send! Love following Chummingham!

Indeed is a dream coral of mine, but 2 is even better than 1 haha! Will do further research but itching to continue learning and trying new things :)

The problem with fragging by cutting through mouth is that they look ugly. They never really get round ...or maybe takes forever
Definitely takes forever, but good thing is that I'm in it for the long haul! But another option is to purchase another scoly so I always have 1 donut to look at ;)

Looks like come next Coral Farmers Market, I will be on the lookout to see if there's a scoly that will fit my budget!

I did it back in like 2009 or so when they first started to hit the states. Again it was not with a nice water cooled band saw, but a diamond bladed dremel, so using the BAR saw may improve survival. It did start to regain its roundness over time, but what I'd really like to see is if you glued/grafted it to a donor skeleton at the same height as the scoly "slice" and see if it spreads faster. Mine kinda did the fried egg/Salvador Dali thing, and it probably would have grown faster with a flat skeleton.

Bad photo from 2010 but I believe this was a half slice we did next to the untouched one:
IMG_0150.jpg

I think four pieces would be better. Probably would get rounder quicker.
Nope. They won't. A lot depends on the skeleton to be reformed.

Now is the BOD funds me, i can see if I can reproduce my experiment for true babies... :D. Actually, next time i find a reasonably priced scoly, I'm planning on repeating my experiment.

Nope. They won't. A lot depends on the skeleton to be reformed.

Now is the BOD funds me, i can see if I can reproduce my experiment for true babies... :D. Actually, next time i find a reasonably priced scoly, I'm planning on repeating my experiment.
That's why I wanna test my theory of grafting the cut ones into wedges cut out of dead skeletons! I bet a LFS somewhere has some empties we can cannibalize.

Back