Kessil

BOD Meeting - March 8, 2008

Mr. Ugly

Past President
BAR Board of Directors meeting will be on Saturday, March 8 2008 at Aquatic Specialties and Pets.

http://www.bareefers.org/ASAP%20Directions.html

Meeting begins at 1pm, and is open to the general membership.

Agenda items so far:

- BAR finances update
- Frag collection for Manhattan Reefs
- Future presentation topics
- Regional swap early discussion
- DBTC:InterClub
- Family membership dues
- Meeting attendance tracking
- "Just for BAR" events
- Forum hosting options
- Sponsor support initiatives
- Ideas for promoting captive propagation
- Supplies update

We will be accepting frag donations at the meeting for our friends at Manhattan Reefs.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3200.0

They sent over some nice items for our last swap, and it would be nice for us to return the favor (their swap is in April!) :D

If you have DBTC items to pass out or pick up from fellow members, you are more than welcome to do so at the meeting!

All members are encouraged to attend and get involved in planning and organizing club stuff, even :D :D :D

See you all there!

[quote author=musclebenz link=topic=3202.msg36173#msg36173 date=1204654756]
What time is the meeting?
[/quote]

1 pm

[quote author=Thales link=topic=3202.msg36693#msg36693 date=1204943587]
Ooo, could we ad 'clubs position on bag sales' to the agenda?

:D
[/quote]

Oh come on, cut a guy some slack. I haven't been doing this as long as you guys. :'( :) Honestly, I didn't even think about the fresh off the plain aspect of it. Well now I know :p

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3202.msg36698#msg36698 date=1204945921]
[quote author=Thales link=topic=3202.msg36693#msg36693 date=1204943587]
Ooo, could we ad 'clubs position on bag sales' to the agenda?

:D
[/quote]

Oh come on, cut a guy some slack. I haven't been doing this as long as you guys. :'( :) Honestly, I didn't even think about the fresh off the plain aspect of it. Well now I know :p
[/quote]

Nooo! Its got nothing to do with you! You rock!

The club has been steadily moving away for the 'gimmie gimmie' mentality towards a 'coral parenting' attitude.
Bag lot sales have traditionally been very bad for the animals, and seem to continue because the corals are cheap and some of them live, meaning that people perceive that they are worth the risk. Sadly, this thinking only takes into account the money spent, not the lives or well being of the coral. The question is, are bag lot sales something the club wants to support directly, indirectly, or through sponsors?

To add to what Rich just said (couldn't have said it better myself).....This hobby/industry in under a HUGE microscope. Activities like "bag sales" attract negative attention and are one of the things the groups against it use as fuel. Don't think for one second the entire industry/hobby could change over night with 1 bill that could wipe out ALL imports (it's been proposed multiple times all ready but they failled). If such a thing where to happen, the entire industry would be turned upside down and you'd see a major die off of manufacterers and LFS. The majority of wholesalers would be out of a business.

I think it's important for the club to have a view/position on this. I wish I wasn't in Denver as I would like to attend the BOD meeting and talk more in depth about this.

Back