got ethical husbandry?

Bone cutter recommendations

The bone cutters I purchased from BRS are crap. I cleaned and wiped the cutters dry after each use and the screw that holds them together seems to be rusting. It's so hard to open and close now. They are stainless steel but I think I should have gotten surgical steel instead.

I see good reviews for the Boston Aquafarms cutters but does anybody have any recommendations for others? I'd prefer to buy local rather than buying online.

All of them will rust, I've bought one from pretty much every supplier (or was given one).

I like the BAF anodized ones and TAAM's Rio one.

Haha Jim you're funny. :D

Gresham, the BAF ones you recommend are the same as the surgical steel ones and they still rust?

Do your Rio's rust? Anywhere that sells locally?

sfboarders said:

Gresham, the BAF ones you recommend are the same as the surgical steel ones and they still rust?

The Rios rust as well, they all do, you know what saltwater does, it corrodes EVERYTHING, some things just take longer than others :D

I'm still looking for cutters that can chop though 3/4" Acro branches...

tuberider said:
sfboarders said:

The Rios rust as well, they all do, you know what saltwater does, it corrodes EVERYTHING, some things just take longer than others :D

this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Colibri-Titanium-GOLD-Cigar-Guilotine-Cutter-70-GIFT-/280516942950?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41501cdc66#ht_3190wt_1139

or this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Trading-Company-7-Diagonal-Cutter-Titanium-/350352458311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5192a24247#ht_721wt_913

tuberider said:
sfboarders said:

I think you're looking for tree trimmers!

bookfish said:
tuberider said:
sfboarders said:

I use PVC shears for this :)

I have also encounter the stainless steel bone cutters rusting on me. The bone cutters eventually gets stuck. I just dunked the cutters into half vinegar and half water for 15 mins, scrubbed it with a tooth brush, and open and closed it a million times. Now it's working as it was brand new.

GreshamH said:
bookfish said:
tuberider said:
sfboarders said:

That's a really good idea I never thought of!

Wait, I thought i've seen you use them like this before Jim? I get cheap ones at the Dollar store or harbor Freight. I then wash the bejesus out of them to remove any traces of oil from production. I use a little Dr Bronners on them to help remove the oil.

GreshamH said:
bookfish said:
tuberider said:
sfboarders said:

Awesome! I knew there was an answer somewhere out there!!!!

Bone Cutter used to be my C.B. handle. 'Ol Bone Cutta on this Duck Pluckin' end..........
Just kidding, of course. I used to talk to a guy called "Meat Cutter" though...........

Fresh water rinse thoroughly every time makes a big difference. Mine get stained with epoxy finger prints as I'm usually using them in the middle of a mounting proceedures.

bee505 said:
I have also encounter the stainless steel bone cutters rusting on me. The bone cutters eventually gets stuck. I just dunked the cutters into half vinegar and half water for 15 mins, scrubbed it with a tooth brush, and open and closed it a million times. Now it's working as it was brand new.

Just tried out your suggestion Bennett and works much better.

I'm gonna see if my mom can get me some bone cutters from work (she works in the surgery dept. :))

zepplock said:
Try Titanium. I'm tempted to buy scalpel and other tools, but expensive.
The only time I use a scalpel is when I'm fragging zoa colonies on a disc, I saw through the disc and scalpel through the zoas inbetween the heads. Although I bought a surgical scalpel, the disposies work just fine.

I've had a pair of Boston Aqua Farms cutters for a few months now, and have been able to keep the rust under control. The screw that acts as the hinge shows some slight signs of rust, but it still moves freely and easily (i.e. gravity can open it). I think that the most important thing to do is to soak the cutters in hot fresh water after using them, and then just dry them thoroughly. Eventually though, I think that the saltwater will prevail as it does with everything.

What I haven't seen yet is the rusting from under the finish like you see with some of the polished silver colored ones.

So all in all, I'm fairly happy with these cutters.

The black ones are anodized... I don't think it acts like a chrome does, or a paint does, as far as lifting off ;)

Back