got ethical husbandry?

Buying Quarantined fish from Bay bridge

So, I am trying a quarantine fish purchase for the first time.
Last week I paid bay Bridge to quarantine a madagascar flasher wrass, given the wrass price point and how finicky it can be, I figured it will be safer to get a quarantined fish.

I will document the process and the experience and share with you all.

Fingers crossed..

Good luck!

I've gotten quarantined fish from Bay Bridge Aquariums and they were all healthy and eating well.
I'd say its worth the extra cost, especially after two painful experiences with velvet.
Yeh this is the first time I try BBA and first time do the quarantine thing over all.
So far the details that Michael provided were very expensive and his responses were rather quick. Will see how it goes, am excited to add this fish. Made a mistake and bought it from another LFS, but did not survive a day, out of the bag it looked wacky..my fault I did not verify but I fell in love with this wrass so trying one more time..

Quarantining fish is definitely a big aspect of the hobby that can get really fun/stressful at times (just like sps!). With those expensive fish do they give a guarantee at all?

I bought a QT tang from them and I setup a new 40 breeder for observation and 5 days later it had a few ich spots. Luckily I didn’t put it in my display tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quarantining fish is definitely a big aspect of the hobby that can get really fun/stressful at times (just like sps!). With those expensive fish do they give a guarantee at all?
I think the guarantee is that fish is healthy, eating and does it show sign of illnesses.
I think with fish its hard to have solid guarantee once you picked it up cause it does depend on your system..

They only sell quarantined fish. It's baked into the price.

I've bought a tang, wrasses, and other fish from them. Hippo tang did well. I bought two wrasses at once and the yellowband made it and thrived but the Naoko's fairy didn't make it past 1 day. Midas blenny from them lasted 6 months. To be fair, not all my fishes were from them so it could have been something in my old system (I had a pair of clowns direct from ORA that never touched LFS water, chromises from AC that I treated with prazi/cupramine, and a yellow tang from another hobbyist.).

Last edited:
They used to only sell quarantined but changed their business model. They sell non-quarantined fish now and I wonder if there's cross contamination happening between the two.

how much does it cost to quarantine? Do you buy the fish from them and then they quarantine for a fee?
In this particular case, since the fish is special order, i paid im advance, Michale is getting the fish for me and quarantining it for a month before I get it from him.
He has a specific process for quarantine and the guarantee around me getting the fish at the end of the day. Will see how it goes.

I bought a QT tang from them and I setup a new 40 breeder for observation and 5 days later it had a few ich spots. Luckily I didn’t put it in my display tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Edgar
I am sorry that happened and troubling to hear. When did that happen and what fish was this?

They used to only sell quarantined but changed their business model. They sell non-quarantined fish now and I wonder if there's cross contamination happening between the two.
@bfirecat there shouldn't be any contamination, but that doesn't mean it can't happen, it's still a fish shop and hands can forget to be washed But there's every effort taken to avoid that. The quarantine room is on the separated and on the far opposite side of the building (Maybe 80ft away?) secure behind a wall and not part of the open area, and no where near the retail displays. There's presently no display for any quarantined fish as 90% of them are by special order and either shipped out or given to the customer directly. We're still building out on a formal room and systems to keep QTd fish in.

Today Michael emailed me at 4am, that the shipment arrived and he picked it this morning 12am..
He included pictures and detailed next steps that I really feel bad posting it myself and rather he do it cause it was such detailed and informative summary.

Looks like treatment started, let's see how this goes.m

Today Michael emailed me at 4am, that the shipment arrived and he picked it this morning 12am..
He included pictures and detailed next steps that I really feel bad posting it myself and rather he do it cause it was such detailed and informative summary.

Looks like treatment started, let's see how this goes.m
Is there even room for fish in your tank anymore? Hah

Back