got ethical husbandry?

CAD Lights 46G

Another month goes by. Updated shots of some of the corals. Top left is the red blasto that picked up awhile back. It's turned out quite nicely over time. The mother polyp (2" when inflated) is the center one surrounded by the daughters. Next to that is the Vivid confetti and then another wild CRC frag.

Also built some ramps around the frag plugs on both montis so that they can start growing down onto the larger 3.5" disc.
1619190820337.png

composition_091817.jpg

Last edited:
Went to RAP this past weekend and ran into some familiar faces.

Ended up picking up more sticks this time around and I only went down there for two pieces. Ended up driving back north with a chunk missing from my wallet. The drive was long and I didn't get back until 11:45ish. Finally dipped all of them and placed them into the tank at work ~12:15ish and made it back home at 1. The 9 A.M. meeting at work this morning was rough since I wanted to check on the corals instead.
default_blush.png

The sps are all on the sand bed currently and will stay there for at least a week before I plant them down. Here's the list of what was picked up:

RR Orange Machine
RR Orange Passion
RR Wolverine
RR Firecracker
Miguel's Mango Passion (OG Miguel)
Gonzo's Poison Envy
RR Inner Core
MattV Rainbow Envy
...one unnamed RR yellow sps

Also wanted one single huge polyp of a blasto that I've never seen before. It was there on the first day and I was hoping to pick it up on the second, but it was gone by the time that I got back to the booth.

I actually have one that I'm seeing how it'll turn out. It's a mariculture that's been refusing to color up, which I'm not surprised by.

Nice finds! Looking forward to photos once they settle in - would like to a side by side comparison of the Disney/MattV rainbow and get your opinion on which has better colors and grows better.

It'll be awhile before that happens. The MattV rainbow has quite a bit of settling, growing, and coloring to do.

I'll be getting rid of some of the wild mini colonies from this tank soon. They're colored up and decent looking but I'm running out of space to mount some of the new ones.

Oh, I also picked up something not reef related at RAP - these two halfmoons. :p
rap_bettas_100817.jpg
1619190904203.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn't expecting to see anything freshwater related, but was surprised to see planted tanks, Tropica plants, and these halfmoon bettas. I was planning on seeing what they had at the LFS since I had a friend that was interested in one. Picked both of these up to give her a choice and will be keeping the one on the right. I thought she would prefer the one on the right, but decided to go with the blue one instead.

Did you take any photos at RAP? Are you able to find any coral to buy there? Maybe we should charter a bus there with club money next year

I didn't take any photos at RAP unfortunately. The only photos I took were some pics of blood clams that my buddy grilled that I've never had before, as well as of the Apex triple measurement module (alk, ca, mg). All the corals are for sale there. Even the corals and fish were for sale from some of the displays there. In addition to the two I went down for, (RR Orange Machine, RR orange passion) I also picked up the MattV Rainbow Envy, Gonzo's Poison Envy, RR Inner Core, and the Miguel's Mango Passion (old LFS owner down south that shut down his shop; organism is his handle, which is attributed to at least one zoa back in the day).

Just imagine the coral farmers market, but on steroids. Plenty of corals, high and low end to buy there. There are plenty of $10 frags as well as rainbow blastos that went for $1,500. There's also a lot of vendor to vendor buyers who will either trade or buy them outright from each other. I saw one vendor blow $2,200 buying an SPS colony and two frags from another one.

It's a two day event. The first day is really for collectors who want first dibs on some of the rarer stuff, so they'll pay the asking prices. The second day is for those who want to strike a bargain since most of the vendors there do not want to pack it all up and then haul it back with them. John from YourReef was there and was doing buy 6 and get 4 free deals. There are also 2 speakers on each day.

Oh, I forgot that I also picked up a 12 frag holder that's TSA compliant (as tested by Sanjay Joshi).

Last edited:
Wish I took more photos. Only have pictures of the Neptune booth.

But @Ibn has it pretty much it. If you are willing to pay for nice pieces, come 1st thing on the 1st day for 1st picks. If you would rather wait for better pricing, 2nd day is less crowded n vendors are more willing to deal. The last 30 mins is crazy, with lots of people waiting till then to get the best deals.

0f8eea869e97b9d2870548f0c0714eaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds a lot like MACNA wait until the end to jump on the vendors who would rather not pack things up.

But this looks nicer than the one I went to quite a few years back at the some expo center

I didn't take any photos at RAP unfortunately. The only photos I took were some pics of blood clams that my buddy grilled that I've never had before, as well as of the Apex triple measurement module (alk, ca, mg). All the corals are for sale there. Even the corals and fish were for sale from some of the displays there. In addition to the two I went down for, (RR Orange Machine, RR orange passion) I also picked up the MattV Rainbow Envy, Gonzo's Poison Envy, RR Inner Core, and the Miguel's Mango Passion (old LFS owner down south that shut down his shop; organism is his handle, which is attributed to at least one zoa back in the day).

Just imagine the coral farmers market, but on steroids. Plenty of corals, high and low end to buy there. There are plenty of $10 frags as well as rainbow blastos that went for $1,500. There's also a lot of vendor to vendor buyers who will either trade or buy them outright from each other. I saw one vendor blow $2,200 buying an SPS colony and two frags from another one.

It's a two day event. The first day is really for collectors who want first dibs on some of the rarer stuff, so they'll pay the asking prices. The second day is for those who want to strike a bargain since most of the vendors there do not want to pack it all up and then haul it back with them. John from YourReef was there and was doing buy 6 and get 4 free deals. There are also 2 speakers on each day.

Oh, I forgot that I also picked up a 12 frag holder that's TSA compliant (as tested by Sanjay Joshi).
Ok, so I gotta ask....what do you mean by TSA compliant?

Back