Reef nutrition

Can this Garf be saved and how?

It is definately RTNing. My suggestion would be to cut up as much as you can that still has good complete tissue and get rid of the portion that is RTNing as in my experience it can cause others near it to do the same. You want to do this ASAP as the whole piece could go very quickly. It may be for naught but IMHO this is the best chance you have.

As for why it is RTNing, could just be random. I have had a couple of pieces that I had for a long time suddenly go for no specific reason. How do the rest of your SPS look? Could also be a sudden swing in some parameter.

All of the softies are doing well. The color is not so bright on another acro I have next to it and is RTNing as well. The purple monster is still alive but the color is not all that bright either and it's on the other side of the tank. I heard adding magnesium will stop the RTNing do you know if that is true?

Not sure. That has always been my solution. I had a Tubs horrida that was doing fine for well over a year suddenly start to RTN on me and fragging it was the only thing that saved it. Probably 50% of the frags died but I was able to save some.

When is the last time you tested your water?

Softies aren't a real good indicator if there is a problem and actually could be the source of the problem.

I test quite frequently. In fact I just tested last night. Alk at 9, Calc at 420, and PH at 8.3
I just did a water change this morning cause I saw the RTNing late last night.
The tank has undergoed no light for two weeks but that was over three weeks ago.
Then I changed the filtration from canister to sump and that's when I noticed the RTNing.

stephanie
San Bruno

By the way I like your 180 build. Just looked at the link now. I am currently building a 40 frag and just about have all the pieces except for the return pump and auto top-off but it was a bigger project than I thought. I aquired my calc reactor two days ago and had to sit down for a moment to realize that the dream was finally becoming a reality.

How about specific gravity?

What kind of softies do you have? Do you run carbon regularlly?

I know chopping it up isn't the answer you want to hear but believe me, I just went through this with a wild piece I just purchased. To my knowledge fragging it is the best chance it has. Most of the guys typically here are out on the tank tour so it may be a while before anyone else chimes in. You might also put out a post on RC but I suspect you may get the same answer.

It does concern me a bit that it is multiple pieces that are RTNing either leading me to believe there is something wrong with your water (either params which seem to be ok) or aleopathy from the softies.

Also don't panic too much. The important thing is finding the root of the problem as there are plenty of us in the club that can help you replace them.

Again the RTN on two corals side by side could b a domino effect, in which case getting the RTNing coral out could help and in a sense solve the problem. If however it is something different, as in something in the water or from the softies, fragging might help in the short term but in the log term they would be gonners unless yu fix the problem.

Sounds like a bad batch of R/O water, PO4, or a rapid shift in parameters esp alk. Crank your skimmer up to run wet and get some carbon and a Poly -Filter in there if you can. Bryan is correct sometimes it's best to chop and give a quick Revive dip to slow down/stop the RTN.

If you continue to have problems there's a good chance I'll be in your area tomorrow afternoon and can take a quick peek if necessary.

Back