Kessil

Candy Cane Pistol VS Baby Mantis shrimp

Well I've been stocking my tank with some shrimps / Crabs

So far:

3 Sexy's
1 Fire Shrimp
1 small emerald crab
3 dwarf blue leg hermits

Well today I visited 6th ave aquarium (very cool btw catch your own fish) for the first time today. Actually having fish in stock was a plus! I visited Aquatic Central and Ocean treasures and found them to be live stock free zones :(( .

Anyways i found a candy cane pistol and a female pompom crab with both pompoms.

After Acclamation I had planned to keep the pistol in a Tupperware with holes and a rock, until i found a Yasha Goby. But he got out and surprisingly made his way to a hole in my LR and immediately started making the pop noise. Then I instantly notice a Hitch Hiker I've never seen before, He was checking out the pistols hole, Pretty sure it's a baby mantis shrimp. He tried to sneak up on my new pistol and my Pistol had to defend himself.

I'm very surprised this is my first time seeing the mantis shrimp, esp since i have all the other inverts.

What's the best bait to lure out the baby mantis? and who wants him otherwise he's going down the toilet/lfs!

Be very careful purchasing livestock from that store. Not only is most of it unhealthy and mistreated, but you are likely subjecting the rest of the tank to all of the crap they have floating around in their tanks. Their husbandry and general practices are shady to say the least. I will leave it at that.

I was in that neighborhood this last week and saw the little crab with his 'paws'. There was also a chambered nautilus. So sad to see so much dead and dying, as there was no light on the corals. I hope you do well with what you brought home. The little dragon face pipes were active and full of personality.

Most of the BAR sponsors will get anything you request, as in both places I asked have found what I was looking for. They also post lists here on BAR forum as fish and coral come in but you have to be able to get there in a day or not see the stock.

I had a hitch hiker pistol.. the worst terror in my tank, killed 3 fire shrimp, 2 clean shrimp and I think some small fish too! I pulled all my rocks out to get that bugger out. IMO I could never see myself spending money on something like that, they are killing machines atleast what I've seen

SoulFish said:
I had a hitch hiker pistol.. the worst terror in my tank, killed 3 fire shrimp, 2 clean shrimp and I think some small fish too! I pulled all my rocks out to get that bugger out. IMO I could never see myself spending money on something like that, they are killing machines atleast what I've seen
Yeah, the bigger ones are a terror, the one I got is a pretty small / Stays small species. He *popped* the mantis right in the face 2 times and it didn't do anything to the mantis. Mines is actually hanging around my sexy's and my emerald crab (who surprisingly are always near each other). I mainly got him to pair with a yasha goby.

Back