Reef nutrition

Captive bred tang vs angel

euod

Supporting Member
The big news recently is that captive bred yellow tang is now possible thanks to Oceanic Institute http://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/20/yellow-tangs-finally-captive-bred-oceanic-institute/. This success helps the yellow tang wild population because it is one of the ornamental fish that are caught by the boat load.
I am excited to hear that it happened in Hawaii rather than in Bali:) However, I would be more excited if Interruptus angels were captive bred again. Karen Brittain has been very successful in breeding angels in U.S. and Bali Aquarich as well. So let's hear it, what tang or angel you would pay top $ for if it was captive bred because the future is here?

Not necessarily wanting dieing to pay top dollar, but very excited for yellow tangs, as they are awesome aquarium fish and a bread and butter type variety, so can't wait for them to take those last couple of steps!

yellow-tang-captive-bred.jpg

So weird how clear their bodies are at the juvenile stage. They look decent size though! 1-2 inches looks like. Hard to tell without a proper scale since the rock could be any size.

I don't know about top dollar but I would buy aquacultured tangs over wild tangs if the price wasn't too steep.

Guessing we're still quite far from Designer Yellow Tangs :p

Every single post larval fish I have seen has been clear, larvae are clear so post fish that are barely post larval will be clear.

Given the settlement time, you'll be looking at a few hundred for many years for a CB Yellow Tang I suspect. OI has a decade into this project, and a lot of funding. Private groups will be hard pressed to do this.

I doubt they are larger than an inch. @ 70 DPH (October 16th) they were barely 3/4".

So is all that silvery looking stuff in the front all of the organs of the fish? And I assume one long poop chute to the back along the spine? I mean they have some sort of muscles on the back half don't they? To swim or flick out their barbs? It's odd that it's all translucent.

Would love to see C. resplendens, C. debelius, and C. multifasciatus. Basically some of Frank's successes in the past.

Resplendents were released by rtc in 2012 and I thought it was the beginning of more to come, but it has been quiet since then. Resplendent was very pricey at the start of the release but price did eventually drop. The economy was still in a funk, or should I say ffff... at the time, otherwise they would have sold a boat load. Frank was way before his time and unfortunately I discovered him just before he went into his first hibernation.
Recently aquacultured armitage, clarion, and blue face angels were released a few weeks ago but the demands were so high that they were hard to attain.

Back