got ethical husbandry?

Caulerpa prolifera in fuge?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
My Chaeto is not doing well - again. I’m running GFO and GHA is still growing in my DT.
In another tank, I have some Caulerpa Prolifera that is growing like crazy. I feed clippings of it to my herbivores.
So…I’m thinking of putting some in my fuge to replace the Chaeto. My only concern is the possibility of it going sexual. Anyone have any experience?

This article lays it out pretty well, but it’s 12 years old. Maybe common wisdom has advanced since then?

After learning of all the massive invasive problems Caulerpa taxifolia has caused in the Mediterranean and to a lesser degree California waters, I’ve stayed clear of Caulerpa now for years. Caulerpa taxifolia is also illegal in California for this reason, but I still see it often at LFS’s and in refugiums.

You mentioned Caulerpa prolifera specifically so I’m assuming you are aware of the above and know the difference, but I see prolifera much less commonly in the hobby, so this is more of an FYI to other reefers. San Diego (were I lived before and had a tank) banned all Caulerpa species for their invasive ability but as far as I know prolifera is not banned state-wide. Still, I would stay away. I don’t think people reliably sanitize all their clippings much less waste water to be able to know they aren’t putting some into our coastal waters.

I am also wary of the Caulerpa, but do have some in my sump for my herbivores. I don't put any of my waste water down the serew, as I use a french drain for my water disposal. Salt the earth! I also keep green ulva, red ogo, and cheato. It seems like at times one will do better than others, but all keep growing. Let me know if you'd like to try any of them in your tank.

We have a septic system, so there’s zero chance anything we flush makes it to the ocean. Unless it is pumped.

I’d be wary of it going sexual for sure. What do you need macro algae for anyway? Just dose vinegar. So easy. And cheap. And less power.

I have never seen new sprigs of caulerpa prolifera show up in my display (unlike ulva). But I actually appreciate the ulva growing on top of my power head/places tang can’t reach and then breaking off and feeding my tang.

According to this company you can can ship c. prolifera to California just not the other kinds shown here.

Attachments

• 7B0AA551-A782-4B40-B5D4-6F4931044817.jpeg
    7B0AA551-A782-4B40-B5D4-6F4931044817.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 118
I think prolifera is banned in SoCal but not here because it can’t survive in the colder water.
Admittedly I had to map out Newport bay but it’s in SoCal, still it’s possible it’s warm enough in the inland bays *of NorCal for caulerpa so there might still be a threat?

Back