Kessil

Chaeto Growth with Kessil H380

Sharing some progress on my Chaeto growth. This picture shows 6 weeks for growth with my Kessil H380. The sump on the LEFT (edited) is how my Chaeto had been for months: not really growing. In the past, I had good growth with a 12W Home Depot Daylight LED floodlight, but last year it stopped growing. My Nitrates were at about 40ppm. I upgraded to the small 9W Innovative Marine ChaetoMax Refugium LED (seen in left sump at top right). After 4 or 5 months and dosing some iron and iodine, this did nothing to improve my Chaeto. I then dropped $300 on the Kessil H380. After 6 weeks, I need to remove some Chaeto. Not only is the refugium completely full of Chaeto, but the Chaeto is thick and has a great green color.
ChaetoGrowthsmall.png

Last edited:
Great job, I believe BRS did a chaeto grow test with various lights including the Kessil 1200 (?) basically 4 380s together. And yeah better light = much better growth. That said you dropped 20ppm over about a month and a half including all the nitrates you were putting into your system, I think that's pretty good wait another month and a half and see where you're at. Hopefully you don't get to a point where too low and it has detrimental effects.

You will probably get to a point where it's capable of removing more nutrients than you're putting in. At that point, lower your light cycle on the fuge.

I use a $60 led I got from Amazon and it works amazing. Advertised as 200w (because it has a pair of 100w pucks) but is only pulling 100w through the apex. It's a lot bigger unit that the kessil and is an on/off light but I throw out half a gallon of chaeto a week.

You will probably get to a point where it's capable of removing more nutrients than you're putting in. At that point, lower your light cycle on the fuge.

I use a $60 led I got from Amazon and it works amazing. Advertised as 200w (because it has a pair of 100w pucks) but is only pulling 100w through the apex. It's a lot bigger unit that the kessil and is an on/off light but I throw out half a gallon of chaeto a week.
Yeah lessening the light schedule or harvesting more, more often will work too.

Card to share what light that is? My current grow light doesn’t seem to be doing the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back