got ethical husbandry?

Clownfish to a good home

Corallus

Supporting Member
It's a difficult decision, but I've decided it's time to re-home my standard ocellaris clown trio. I've had the female for going on 4 years now (bought from Neptune) and the 2 smaller ones for around three years (purchased from an esteemed local reefer who bred them). Once they started spawning, the female became pretty aggressive, but they've lived without incident as a trio for the whole time I've had them. They still spawn regularly, so if someone wants to try their hand at breeding, these guys would be great.

I'm not asking anything for them, aside to the promise from whoever takes them that they will be well cared for. I do reserve the right to be a little selective with who these go to. Supporting member is basically a must. If someone only wants the pair and not the extra male, that's fine, he'll go back in my tank as a bachelor.

Crappy pics, but they're healthy, problem free and eat anything. Pickup at my place in SF.
Clowns (1 of 2).jpg
Clowns (2 of 2).jpg

Im interested. I can try to see if they can spawn in my 30head hammer colony and try to raise the babies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@NelsonCh - That sounds a good fit, the first place I ever found their eggs was at the base of a big hammer colony.

Hey @Jeff Rehling , I took a quick look through some of your previous posts to see what sort of tank you have setup, and in older post you mention you have a 75 gal with a pair of clowns? Unless mine are going into another tank, I wouldn't mix them with any other clowns - even other occy's. Do me a favor, and let me know how you plan on keeping them. Also, as much as I'd love them to stay in SF, I'd also like them to go to a supporting member... Maybe a good excuse to sign up ;)! This, and frag swaps and all sorts of other free stuff... (I can even get you a couple of zoa frags if you come pick up the clowns).

As of right now, @NelsonCh, it looks like I'm happy to offer these to you first. PM me when you get a chance, and we can work out the details.

Thanks!

@NelsonCh, was it you I was talking to that had clowns already?

Yup! I currently have a goldbar hosting a anemone from Neptune. My skunk clown and black and white clown are jumping around between corals. If I get the mated pair, I will see if they can take their own sections in the tank. If not, I would rehome them for the mated pair. Really interested in trying to keep a spawned pair to have a go at breeding. I figured a 71” long tank should allow them to coexist?

Yup! I currently have a goldbar hosting a anemone from Neptune. My skunk clown and black and white clown are jumping around between corals. If I get the mated pair, I will see if they can take their own sections in the tank. If not, I would rehome them for the mated pair. Really interested in trying to keep a spawned pair to have a go at breeding. I figured a 71” long tank should allow them to coexist?

from my experience I had 2 ocellaris and 2 skunks in a 180 gallon (6 foot tank) and the ocellaris would chase the skunks around the tank the whole time, eventually bullied one to death and I got the other one out. However, black and white clowns are also ocellaris. so if your maroon clown and your skunks dont bother it, I personally think that they also most likely wont bother the new clowns as long as they keep to themselves. the new clowns might bother the skunks though

I also had an already established pair hosting in nems when I added the skunks, so that could have been a factor

from my experience I had 2 ocellaris and 2 skunks in a 180 gallon (6 foot tank) and the ocellaris would chase the skunks around the tank the whole time, eventually bullied one to death and I got the other one out. However, black and white clowns are also ocellaris. so if your maroon clown and your skunks dont bother it, I personally think that they also most likely wont bother the new clowns as long as they keep to themselves. the new clowns might bother the skunks though

I also had an already established pair hosting in nems when I added the skunks, so that could have been a factor

Thanks for the info! Currently all my clowns are singles so no real established territory. Only one that really claims a nem is my goldbar maroon thats nem is hiding behind a rock. Did you have a lot of big corals for them to host or did they have to fight over a nem?

I have this hammer colony.
4dd1bc966062d6cde2e5a401da182312.jpg

This elegance colony.
2e9b26f9ed34c85ddff0a6fd72093d77.jpg

And a huge 10” nem along with hundreds of zoas and other corals my friend is throwing into my tank tomorrow they can pick from. Hes giving me all his corals to sell/keep until sold since he wants his tank to be sps only. I guess thats the perks of having a big tank lol...Going to have so much real estate that I really hope allows them to get along. If not, Ill pay it forward. I have no crabs or shrimp in my tank except for 20 nass snails to sift my sand so I hope the mated pair can breed successfully. I also have a breeder box but I think I would have to saw off where the eggs end up being to fit in the tiny box lol.

I think successfully breeding them (having babies grow to the point they're eating and swimming like normal fish) requires a setup specifically for breeding them. There's a few folks in the club that are doing this, you may be able to get pointers from them. I've moved these guys around through multiple tanks in my place, and they have always started spawning once they settled in. I think rearing the babies is as much about feeding the free swimming larva and keeping them out of the filtration, as it is keeping them from being eaten.

@NelsonCh - That sounds a good fit, the first place I ever found their eggs was at the base of a big hammer colony.

Hey @Jeff Rehling , I took a quick look through some of your previous posts to see what sort of tank you have setup, and in older post you mention you have a 75 gal with a pair of clowns? Unless mine are going into another tank, I wouldn't mix them with any other clowns - even other occy's. Do me a favor, and let me know how you plan on keeping them. Also, as much as I'd love them to stay in SF, I'd also like them to go to a supporting member... Maybe a good excuse to sign up ;)! This, and frag swaps and all sorts of other free stuff... (I can even get you a couple of zoa frags if you come pick up the clowns).

As of right now, @NelsonCh, it looks like I'm happy to offer these to you first. PM me when you get a chance, and we can work out the details.

Thanks!

I'm a member and I've signed up. What more do I do to be supporting? I have a 75g and a single clown. i had a pair but one R U N N O F T. I'm adding a bubble tip soon. Hope I can get them and will take you up on the zoa's!!

Supporting member is a must in the original description for one of the requirements.

Being a member on the forum is different from a supporting member. Supporting members pay an annual fee, whereas a member on the forum just needs to sign up. Take a look under your name to see which kind of member you are.

Back