High Tide Aquatics

Coming back from a long break.

After been gone from this hobby for roughly 5yrs, I think it is time again for me to comeback. Unfortunately had personal issues that got me to quit the hobby and sell everything, as it was out of my control.

Now, new house, new wife and new baby... my life is complete! seems like I can safely say I can do it again.

I hope the same people that started it all back then still around, if not well I hope to meet new friends and make this happen successfully.

Thank you, now I'm in search of equipment. Hopefully I can get what I hope still a decent set up... 5yrs away stuff has really changed.

My old setup was 75g then upgraded to a 120 long, also I had a custom 4x2x1 frag tank. I miss it :(

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Thank you, now I'm in search of equipment. Hopefully I can get what I hope still a decent set up... 5yrs away stuff has really changed.

My old setup was 75g then upgraded to a 120 long, also I had a custom 4x2x1 frag tank. I miss it :(

I hear you on that. I had to sell off my 140g setup in 2008 due to a severe lack of time for the tank. I've got a 37g now and sure miss the space the 140g had.

It's amazing how much technology has changed since then. I've still got a beastly sequence 1000 pump kicking around that sucks 400w.... Not such a wise choice for circulation compared to the modern propellor pumps.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So are mh fixtures still good? Or LED is the way to go now? I had dual hqi 250 Phoenix with t5 ho on my tank.

So are mh fixtures still good? Or LED is the way to go now? I had dual hqi 250 Phoenix with t5 ho on my tank.

I think there are still loads of people who use halides and t5s. I used a dual 250w icecaps and 4 t5s on my old 140g. Granted back then I lived where power was $0.05/kwhr so the power bill wasn't an issue.

I'm running a Kessil 360W on my 37g now. I am a huge fan of it. The color is adjustable so I can get the blue color of the radium 20000k bulbs I loved in the past, but it uses a lot less power and I don't have to change bulbs. I feel like in the last couple years LEDs really made the jump from so-so to being a perfectly valid light source.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LEDs are just fine. Most people are using LED lighting.

Typical reasons for switching to LED
  • More control over color and light intensity
  • Costs less energy
  • Does not emit as much heat
  • Does not require annual purchase/replacement of bulbs
Common complaints/negatives of LED
  • Expensive up front.
  • Light spread is usually less than MH/T5 fixtures you need to buy more fixtures for larger tanks. (It takes 2 kessil360s to light my 40 gallon breeder)
  • Some people think they dont grow corals as fast as MH/T5s. Yet most people are using LED fixtures.
Theres still a hand full of people here who've been with this club over 5 years.

Welcome, Juan! I noticed that you logged in from two accounts. Which one do you plan on using? I can remove the other one.
I really wanted to use my old log in, but if not possible since I don't have the password or the old email to recover.

Let me know, my old account was "jmc74" please email me at jmcastaneda1974@yahoo.com

Thanks

Back