Kessil

commercial collection permit for CA

G

I just found out some fantastic news. My job has gotten me and another fellow employee commercial collection permits for California :D It's a aquaculture collection permit actually, but I get to collect broodstock. This and my buddies new boat is making for a bright and wet 2006.

Wahoo, I'll break out in song....

Strawberry anemonies for ever :D

What Colifornia critters can be kept in our tropical tanks?

Since high school, I always wanted to rig up a refrigerated system to maintain critters from the local bay and ocean. Maybe when my Boys get older, we'll set it up.

Best of luck,

Roy

To be honest Roy... probably none can be kept in our tropical tanks(atleast not without a slow[fast] heat death) since most of california waters are too cold.

Way to stick your foot in your mouth Mike :D

Tidepools range from 40-90+ degrees ;) Socal can get some pretty warm spells as well and many of their critters can take the heat.

I sell a CA critter all ready and it does GREAT in tropical tanks.

GreshamH said:

Tidepools range from 40-90+ degrees ;) Socal can get some pretty warm spells as well and many of their critters can take the heat.

I sell a CA critter all ready and it does GREAT in tropical tanks.

So other than plankton and zooplankton, what would you be trying to collect for a tropical tank? Snails?

Regards,

Roy

GreshamH said:
Well I did just clip my toe nails

I realize that, some critters are out of the water 6+ hours a day too, but the question to ask is can they take the constant higher temps? Otherwise time to go to half moon bay and pick up some of those margarita snails! :)

You'd need an 8 inch ab to keep it legal. Those puppies consume a TON of macro-aglae, so major water changes would be in order. I don't know about their temo range, but I'd say they couldn't handle to hot of temps, otherwise the red would be in baja as well.

Our snails are no good for reef temps. Theres some really small ones that are ok, but they won't do much for your tank.

Yes, with the tidepool being 90 daytime and 50 - 60 at night, they'll be fine in a reef tank at 76- 82 consistantly.

I got this permit for zooplankton, macro and micro algea, nothing else. There's fish and a few other things that could work, but my business isn't about selling that sort of thing ;)

Wow, this is really interesting. I've always wanted to keep a tidepool style tank, but didnt want to have to get a huge chiller to keep the temps that cold. But now I'm thinking aobut setting up maybe a tank without a heater, and maybe keeping some things from the tidepool from it. Would love some of those little blennies and those little green shrimp in there!

Of course I'll have to check on collecting regulations.

A normal F&G license isn't good for live collection unfortunatly. I can get you the little green shrimp though :D I know exactly what your talking about!

I would love some of those! And I'd really appreciate it.

Do you think they'd adapt to tropical tanks, or would a small species only tank without a heater be better?

Back