got ethical husbandry?

Converting 4 stage to 5 stage RODI system (also re-doing all the tubing)

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Hello folks,
I have two hand-me-down 4 stage RODI systems that haven't seen water for a few years now - one is a AquaFX Barracuda, and the other is a no-name unit.

My plan is to combine a certain subset of these to make one usable 5 stage system.

Here are the parts I have:
  • 6x Canisters
  • 2x RO Membrane housings
  • 1x Pressure gauge
  • 1x Two channel inline TDS meter
  • 1x Auto-shutoff valve
  • 1x Flush kit/Flow restrictor
Things I have on order from BRS:
  • 5 Stage replacement filter kit
  • RO membrane
  • Faucet diverter valve
  • Lamotte Chlorine/Chloramine test strips
Now I have to figure out the correct way to route the tubing to get one system up and running.

I am pretty clueless on this, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Going into a deep YouTube/Forums rabbit hole now...

Last edited:
Three things that I should have ordered from BRS are
  1. This bracket (to mount the 5th stage with the rest of the four).
  2. Clear Refillable Cartridge for DI Resin
  3. Spare RO tubing. Duh!

1626224908600.png
1626226218280.png

I guess I'm going to have to make the bracket ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Is this any good?

I did just this last month but had to add a booster pump.
Since I, too, started with a beefed up Barracuda, I used the AquaFX website videos, as well as BAR posts and advice from @CoralReefer. Several members have posted photos of their tidy setups.
My setup currently consists of one rack of triple DI and a rack of everything else, just sitting in a row.
I am out in the East Bay, Pleasant Hill, but think I have an extra solo canister bracket, as well as the nifty line cutter which is totally not needed but speeds up tubing cuts if you want to use it.
IMG_1002.JPG

I did just this last month but had to add a booster pump.
Since I, too, started with a beefed up Barracuda, I used the AquaFX website videos, as well as BAR posts and advice from @CoralReefer. Several members have posted photos of their tidy setups.
My setup currently consists of one rack of triple DI and a rack of everything else, just sitting in a row.
I am out in the East Bay, Pleasant Hill, but think I have an extra solo canister bracket, as well as the nifty line cutter which is totally not needed but speeds up tubing cuts if you want to use it.
View attachment 29746
Wow! that's quite the setup! I have an RO tube cutter already, but if I don't land up making a bracket before I come over to Pleasant Hill, I will let you know!
Thank you!

Do you need three DI canisters out in PH?

I saw the Smart Buddie but imagined it would create an oddly shaped tangle of attachments with less flexibility in placement of the system, wasn't sure it could handle 2 x 100gpd membranes, and everyone raves about the Aquatec 8800. I bought the Aquatec kit, along with a little prestrainer. I saw the AquaFX booster pump (looks the same at least) was on Marine Depot's liquidation.

I might have a spare resin cartridge (I know I have a former carbon one). I hoped to prep spare cartridges but the resin needs to stay sealed.
I haven't tested my Pl Hill home water in a long time, but I have measured it at TDS 30-70 (EBMUD).
My school in Pl Hill has Contra Costa Water and TDS is usually 400-600. (over 700 during 2015 drought when I set it up)

20210419_183851.jpg

I know you didn't ask me, but hopefully this helps too. 100 micron pre-filter not shown, booster pump, 10 micron filter, 2x carbon block, 2x ro membrane, currently 3x mixed resins (moving to split cation/anion resins after my mixed runs out). My pressure gauge stopped working, but it is 1/4" npt threaded so any standard one will work with it.

Last edited:
View attachment 29755

I know you didn't ask me, but hopefully this helps too. 100 micron pre-filter not shown, booster pump, 10 micron filter, 2x carbon block, 2s ro membrane, currently 3x mixed resins (moving to split cation/anion resins after my mixed runs out). My pressure gauge stopped working, but it is 1/4" npt threaded so any standard one will work with it.
Damn! look at you all with your 3x Di resins!

What's your incoming TDS?

Also, @MolaMola which booster pump did you land up getting?
Have any of y'all used this?

View attachment 29747
I am using the smart buddie and I love it.
But... Smart buddie can not make any adjustments to pressure unlike the CDP 8000. So Is not compatible with all RODI system. It has something to do with membrane, pressure and rejecting rate.
Email their company and make sure smart buddie is good with yours.

I am using the smart buddie and I love it.
But... Smart buddie can not make any adjustments to pressure unlike the CDP 8000. So Is not compatible with all RODI system. It has something to do with membrane, pressure and rejecting rate.
Email their company and make sure smart buddie is good with yours.
Oh wow I did not know that :/
What system are you using? 7 stage as well?

I am using 75GPD 5 stage with water saving kit Barely made it the cut.
Simply put, this thing not strong enough haha.
I was able to find the email.
I got the 75GPD membrane, so i think this should be good enough for me :/

75GPD is plenty for me since my water change is only 5 gal every 2 weeks :)

Back