Our mission

Coral ID3

The part sticking up is the original frag piece, it has grown down around the mounting surface, hard skeleton, fleshy covering, slimy

Again very close, might have to wait till it grows out a bit. I recently moved it since this frag is several months old and has hardly grown. Move to area higher in tank with a higher flow rate and more direct light.

Perhaps Hydnophora exesa http://www2.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/html/201-300/Species%20pages/215.htm

The picture of one in Corals of the World Vol. 2 page 362 looks a lot like yours.

If I am right:

Borneman says "most will thrive with bright light and moderate current" He also says that this coral produces a "heavy and thick mucus layer that forms mucus nets"

Sprung says:
Lighting needs: 5-9
Water Flow: 5-9
Aggressiveness: 4
Hardiness: 6
Placement: Chart shows that the species can thrive high, medium or low in the tank.

Best of luck,

Roy

that is a hydno, dead on. We have one large colony and several pups that have fallen off and started growing. They go through phases (like most LPS.. they are an LPS, right ? :)) where they inflate full of water and then deflate and the flesh rests against the skeleton. Your picture is of the later phase. Ours is even encrusting similar to how yours is at the base.

after closer observation I have determined through trial and error the areas highlighted are mouths
Unknown42.jpg

On numerous occasions after direct feeding of other corals I have seen this pulling in food from around the body.

Back