Neptune Aquatics

Coral pruning

justjohno

Supporting Member
Hello, I started reefing to enjoy the hobby and not to make money. With that said, my tank is about 18 months old and corals are starting to grow a little out of control. Its time to prune just a few of my pieces. I have a large Red Planet piece, 4 or 5 head frog spawn and a very nice blue coral frag (Dont know the name). I also have a nice Milli that I'm willing to clip, but he's not getting in the way of anything yet so I'm letting him grow freely.

I rather give them away than throw them into the trash. if you're member and interested let me know

I need to figure out how to post to DBTC area, or should say the learn to do it the correct way.

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 360
Nice coral! Where are you located? I have been collecting different Frogspawns and wouldn't mind a a frag of the red planet if possible. To use DBTC you have to be a member if I am not wrong.

That's correct. DBTC is only available to members only.

That blue milli looks nice. Would be interesting to see it under whiter lights.

Although DBTC is a members only; there's nothing impeding anyone from starting a DBTC
@justjohno you can DBTC those corals since you are the generous person giving them.
I've seen a lot of free coral frags available under the BST/PF forums. I just wonder why not place them under the proper DBTC sub-forums; after all, Is it not the crown jewel of BAR?

Xcaret, thanks for the message. Ironically, I paid to become a member at the last farmers market show and waited for an email to welcome me to the club but it never came. I paid 35.00 (I think) and my name was written on a piece of paper. Fast forward, I tried to use DBTC and couldn’t figure it out. I’m willing to try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOD will check on that issue I'm possitive of that.
If you are not able to create a DBTC under the sub-forum, you can also create a thread here on the coral sub; just state is a DBTC; hey I have no tank yet and somehow DBTC'd some mushrooms!

Xcaret, thanks for the message. Ironically, I paid to become a member at the last farmers market show and waited for an email to welcome me to the club but it never came. I paid 35.00 (I think) and my name was written on a piece of paper. Fast forward, I tried to use DBTC and couldn’t figure it out. I’m willing to try again.

John - I was at the Farmer Market table - What was the email address you put on the paper? I can check why your membership wasn't activated. Sorry to hear this.

I believe so; free coral is just that, no strings attached; wether the recipient grows it out, sells it for a pretty penny or plain kills it, is just free; while a DBTC could be taken as a free coral sort of thing, there are basic things to follow plus a moral/ethic thing to do. It gives the new (and old) reefers a chance to grow a frag (fun part of the hobby and at times very challenging) into a colony and in the same spirit pay it forward via DBTC
DBTC has gotten me in the past to meet good people, learn more about coral/fish husbandry and dream in color.
Anyone could be just handing coral for free; this club is generous as the word itself and I believe those of us that have been recipients of generosity, have a moral obligation in some way to help others succeed in this beautiful hobby.
It has also been a great way to “bank” some corals; either the pesky pest xenia or gsp, to the omg I can’t believe the price of that thing and is just 1/2” coral fragment!!
DBTC states for supporting memebers but as I read it, I understand it to be mainly for the recipient of a coral under the DBTC basic rules
I think a guest could also share coral under DBTC and maybe later when she/he decides to become a supporting member, request the thread be moved to the more proper forum.

Don't Break the Chain
Our club's crown jewel. A "Pay it forward" program intended to encourage propagation and sharing of corals within the club. This is only available to Supporting Members. Become a Supporting Member today”

Is DBTC the same as free corals giveaways?

Is there a distinction?

Reactions: Ibn
John - I was at the Farmer Market table - What was the email address you put on the paper? I can check why your membership wasn't activated. Sorry to hear this.
Hello Apon, yes I remember you. You wrote it down on that lined test notebook. The email address I gave you was s-boy@comcast.net

Hello, I started reefing to enjoy the hobby and not to make money. With that said, my tank is about 18 months old and corals are starting to grow a little out of control. Its time to prune just a few of my pieces. I have a large Red Planet piece, 4 or 5 head frog spawn and a very nice blue coral frag (Dont know the name). I also have a nice Milli that I'm willing to clip, but he's not getting in the way of anything yet so I'm letting him grow freely.

I rather give them away than throw them into the trash. if you're member and interested let me know
I’ll take a few sprigs of anything.

Back