Kessil

Corner tank overflow help?

I was looking at buying a corner glass bowfront 100 gallon tank. I haven't seen it yet, but it was described to me that the overflow is not internal, rather, "the overflow runs up through the bottom and flows in from the back into the top of the water level."

I have no idea what that means and I don't want to waste this guys time if it's not what I would need to run a sump.

Thanks for the help!

seminolecpa said:
r0ck0 said:
Bowfronts also distort the view, makes for bad picture taking and general viewing.

+1000 from a former (and never again) bowfront owner

+1,000,000.1 from a former bowfront corner tank owner. Never gain, never again. The distortion give you headaches.

GreshamH said:
seminolecpa said:
r0ck0 said:
Bowfronts also distort the view, makes for bad picture taking and general viewing.

+1000 from a former (and never again) bowfront owner

+1,000,000.1 from a former bowfront corner tank owner. Never gain, never again. The distortion give you headaches.

+1,000,000,000 from a simultaneously current and former bowfront owner. There's something I like about it though... But I may be getting over that stage pretty soon :)

btw - i have a brand new 90 oceanic that's RR for a sump. lmk if you're interested. not 100+gallons but it's a nice tank. what you have now but with overflows and a nice oceanic badge on it :)

hmm. i think you should get a 120g cube... that'd be sweeeet.

iCon said:
btw - i have a brand new 90 oceanic that's RR for a sump. lmk if you're interested. not 100+gallons but it's a nice tank. what you have now but with overflows and a nice oceanic badge on it :)

Is that a 4' tank?

GreshamH said:
iCon said:

Is that a 4' tank?
The one I have? yes. The cube? No clue :D That just came to mind because I visited a tank in San Jose (forgot the guy's name) but he had a 4'x4'x2' tank and it was awesome. I guess ~100g would be more like 3'x3'x1.5' I like the idea of those 'type' of tanks if you have the space to walk around it or at least 3/4 of it. Pretty neato

IF he doesn't want the 90g I think I know some one that would be interested. He was about to set up a 70, but a 90 is more ideal for him :D

I have a 4x2x2 w/ external overflow, nice size.

rgonzalez said:
I was looking at buying a corner glass bowfront 100 gallon tank. I haven't seen it yet, but it was described to me that the overflow is not internal, rather, "the overflow runs up through the bottom and flows in from the back into the top of the water level."

I have no idea what that means and I don't want to waste this guys time if it's not what I would need to run a sump.

Thanks for the help!

Corner tanks are available RR, those that are not, some people drill one of the glass panes at the bottom close to the corner and install a bulk-head/DIY an overflow box and run the return line externally over the tank rim. I've seen a couple this way.
I had one 54 corner long ago; they are nice glass containers. This one was reef ready. Bow and corner-bow tanks normally have bottom and curved glass tempered so the only places to drill would be either flat glass as close to where these pieces meet.
I'm graduating from a curved glass tank to a rectangular one hopefully before the decade ends and honestly will not go back to curved glass.
I like them? yes.
If you have the space for a corner tank only, take in consideration a "Diamond" shaped plexi; Gen or Truvu can give you a quote. I know the issue about plexi but is always an option.

xcaret said:
GreshamH said:
IF he doesn't want the 90g I think I know some one that would be interested. He was about to set up a 70, but a 90 is more ideal for him :D

Sounds familiar Conrad?
BTW is not me...

No idea what you are talking about, but I guess cryptic was what you were planning on?

Gresh - lmk if you have an interested buyer. it's brand new, stickers and all..never filled it. you can name a fair price and/or i'll check stores and knock off whatever % makes sense.

GreshamH said:

Sounds familiar iCon?
BTW is not me...

I'm in the eternal debate of setting a 70 I've been working for years but the space calls for a 90, not OK with the wife but the space tells me 90 ! 90!
stand of the 70 is 44" and the 90's footprint is 50" I have both tanks/stands ready but for whatever little reason I just postpone the tank swap.
Just like the person you know, is/was to set a 70 but a 90 in more ideal

...just a small coincidence.

GreshamH said:

i also have a 48" t5 fixture lol that would plop over it rather nicely.

Back