Neptune Aquatics

Craigslist. They should rename it Flakeslist

Am I the only one who has bad experiences on Craigslist? I swear that place is a barren wasteland of flakes. I'm trying to sell a brand new perfecto 75g on there. I've had numerous people contact me about it, and even had a guy "commit" to buying it. Of course this has me telling others who have contacted me that a sale is pending, thus scaring them off. Well this guy who said he'd buy it has now apparently fallen off the face of the planet. If this was the first time this happened it would be one thing, but this has happened 3 or 4 times to me selling on that place.

Another time I was selling a 16g bowfront and stand on there, and I had a guy commit to buy it. He offered me like $10 less than my asking price by email, and I told him it was his, come and get it. So when he shows up, he proceeds to try to barter his way down another $30 off of what he committed to. It's not like he said he was just "coming to look" the guy said "I'll take it, can I come pick it up tomorrow?"

And not just aquarium stuff either. One time I was selling a 19" monitor on there for like $20, which is a good price to begin with, and it seemed every other person that contacted me wanted me to either give it to them for free, or offer $5.

I've had similiar problems w/ craigslist. I've given up trying to sell my Technics on there. They all want it for 1/2 off or free :( Bah, I'll ebay them :D

I've had some of the same problems on there, but also on RC as well. I was selling a red yuma and 3 people commited to buying it and then flaked. One of them was even a bar member or at least local and they said they backed out because an online vendor was sellingi t for $5 less. What kind of BS is that? Factor in shipping and it'll be a lot more.

Thats typical selling used items. Listen to the bargaining that goes on at garage sales! I for one don't usually consider purchasing an item unless it is already priced right.

hehe I tried to sell a black laquer stand and hood on craigslist for like $100 (yes Andy same one I got from you w/ tank for $200) :) I replaced all the hinges on doors with new ones, there's a couple minor scratches, I mentioned that it had a footprint to hold any tank 72"x18" first email came with the "will a 20g tank fit on it?" to which I replied "Yeah, but there's a whole lot of other space on it since its designed for a tank 72" long", then another guy say he was interested and then just disappear without so much as a return email. Meh..

So anyone need a black laquer stand?? :)

Mike:

Can you tell me the height of the stand and the height of the hood?

Can you either post or send a picture of what it looks like to racrumrine@yahoo.com

Happy Turkey Weekend,

Roy

the stand is the issue, it's only 24" tall, almost as if it was made for little people, great for your kids to look at though! :) The hood is 6" tall, and I there's a hinge inside that I haven't replaced since I don't know what type I would need, I could remove it and buff the rust off it though. I'll try to get some pictures next week, it's been designated the place where i put junk & laundry on, so I need to clean it off and move it to a nicer place, and I'm really busy early on this week (this weekend too) so don't have time to move it around, but I'll post pics and put them in the for sale thread sometime late next week. I haven't tried to fix the scrapes on the paint, I'm unsure how to touch it up to make it not as noticable, whether or not nailpolish or paint would work better, so I'll leave that to whomever wants to buy it.

Grrr, 24", I hate it when they make them so low. 1 word, SUMP :D

I know that drill. Jim used to attach zoanthinds and other things he didn't want to frags I wanted :D "Ah, you want that, it comes attached to that zoa rock" :D

Even on rc - you put something up for sale and people ask ten million questions and then as ask the final question on shipping. 'Aha, I got me a buyer' so you think, I'll just pm the shipping or maybe ever throw in shipping. Not even a single response back as a courtesy to let you know they will pass on it. Stupid kdjkfj**8$%^&& <grumble, grumble> people ;-)

I've had an experience on Craigslist when I was trying to buy some coral from someone and he says, "Sure, I'll hold it for you, just come on such-and-such date". "Cool," I thought, "new coral!" I made a commitment to buying it, right? So before that day, I email and friggin' no response, even after several tries. Be a $@#^! grown-up and let me know! And I found out that he was even on BAR, which pissed me off even more.

Not long after I sold it I had another person email wanting to buy it for $40 off my listed price because he he said he would have to drive far and I should consider his commute in my price.

I'm going to try that line next time I have to drive over 10 miles to an LFS.

Ha ha! Let's face it. Craigslist, as we all know, is the playground of the cheap. I know because I'm cheap!

It's amazing how people can "negotiate" on crap on the internet. I have a friend who had a stack of magazines (weighing like 50 lbs!) that he wanted to GIVE AWAY FREE. Somehow (I have NO IDEA HOW) the guy managed to convince my friend to not only give him the magazines, but DRIVE OVER TO DELIVER THEM! In retrospect, my friend should have saved himself trouble and just tossed the mags in the recycling bin. Easier for him by far. I'm still amazed that the guy got him to MAKE A SPECIAL TRIP to deliver the mags. Crazy!

I never flake on a sale without telling the person. My experience with it has been pretty good so far. It really just depends on the "other people". I think the anonymity of the web makes people feel that it's OK to be rude. Sigh...oh well.

My experiences;
1) Bought a 40G breeder tank of a guy. When we "water tested it" it had a slow leak (easy fix) even though I'd already paid him for the tank, the SPONTANEOUSLY gave me back half my money!
2) I bought a glass patio table for $20. Good deal, nothing wrong with the table.
3) After I BROKE the stupid 40g breeder (actually cracked it) I sold it to some guy for $10 for his brother to use for reptiles. He came the next day and picked it up.
4) My wife has bought a few items (desk, toaster oven) for $10.
5) I bought my lawnmower from a guy who let me test it out on a small part of his front lawn. He even offered to let me TAKE IT HOME TO TRY IT, then PAY HIM IF I WANTED TO KEEP IT, or bring it back to him.

So...there are a lot of flakes, but there are also some decent people too!

V

Vincerama2 said:
Ha ha! Let's face it. Craigslist, as we all know, is the playground of the cheap. I know because I'm cheap!

My entire setup was listed for $1200 on craigslist but I bought it for $450. It was inside a Rent-A-Space, the tank was standing on one end, and you couldn't tell the condition of the tank or stand. After ~ half a dozen trips to the rental space with prospects and suspects, the owner got worn down and took my offer. I did OK parting out the 5' skimmer, Iwaki pump, etc. Sold the tank to Greg65 (for sump) and bought a brand new one from Steve (Alamade Aquatics).

Do you know the eBay owns part of Craigslist?

Jim

WHAT?! eBay owns part of Craigslist??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!???!!!

Now THAT I didn't know! I always liked Craigslist for the whole spirit of the site...community bulletin board and all...!

V

Back