got ethical husbandry?

Custom Controllers

Gorm

I have been talking to a manufacturer about making some aquarium controllers that are more or less low end. It would only control pumps and lighting. So far my requirements are:

control 4 pumps with independant control of each max 100w
Control 4 lights groups, max 1000w, again each light group individually timed.
Led's for status and troubleshooting
Plastic enclosure with clear lid for viewing

Anyone with input please provide.. and the cost would be around 75-100 bucks.

What kind of independent control or the pumps? Timers or on off?

I have found it very useful to have multiple programs for lighting timers - it can really help with acclimation.

Digital or mechanical timers?

I would very interested in such a unit. Any ideas about form factor?

:D

basically the pumps would each have there own timer, there would be a small dial for each that could control either the on or off cycle, haven't decided which I want it to do. I was thinking a 60 sec cycle, with a 0-60 sec delay.

You could have pump "A"on for 1 min, off for 20 secs, on for 1 min...
You could have pump "B" on for 1 min, off for 40 secs, on for 1 min...
You could have pump "C" on for 1 min, off for 60 secs, on for 1 min..

It would also have to include a feed button, prolly around 15 mins delay for all pumps.

The details are still being worked out about lighting control. Basically I was told that what they could come up with, wouldn't be any type of clock at all, it would essentually be a timer, with adjustment for the on cycle.

It would basically be you plug it, hit a 'reset" and that would be the start of a 24 hour cycle, based upon the time setting, it would stay on from 0-24 hours,

Example:

I get it, plug it in and hit reset at 8 am, I have dial roughly set for about mid way or around 12 hours, At around 8 pm that particular light would shut off for the remainder of the cycle, which would be 8 am.

Everything would be made from solid state, so no clicking or relays etc, and I am looking into haveing them potted (sealed in clear epoxy) that would eliminate corrosion and water intrusion. The inital cost for me would be high for the prototype, but if I come up with something like this, a design that does the basics, what most people buy the aquatrollers jr.s for example but could sell for 75-100 dollars. The great thing about this, nothing external needed to operate, no x-10 BS. Again this would be a very basic lighting and pump controller, roughly 6"w X 6"H X 4"D

PLease provied input if you have any

SSR's can't be used for everything. Something to do with zero crossing. IIRC, most MH's can't take zero crossing.

You may want to look into that issue, as well as soft start for pumps. W/O soft start, you could be going thru pumps a lot quicker then you'd think.

I suggest posting this on RC DIY forum and asking for BeanAnimal or EastTN to reply.

Back