High Tide Aquatics

Damaged Torch Coral

NickRoseSN1985

Supporting Member
I was just at Ultimate Aquarium buying some bumblebee snails and noticed a damaged coral. I asked about and it’s a ORA torch coral and the owner says it’s normally $120 but he would give it to me for $50. Should I do it? I’m up for a challenge. I already have a torch coral and it has a second mouth now.
94065973-8125-47B4-8DFE-0AC482AB6E0E.jpeg

I would ask for a better deal than $50 if you try it. It looks pretty damaged.

Kungfucorals on Instagram has a process to bring back damaged torches you could check out on their page. I believe it is daily dips in some type of dip, and then cleaning it with a pipette or baster. But it’s quite a risk IMO because moving tanks will possibly hurt it more. If you want a torch I would suggest checking out endeavor aquatics on ebays. I got torches from them for $20/head and then that’s where the green tipped torch group buy placed their order. Might be better to get one that’s healthy. In my experience torches are finicky and can die suddenly, I had one that had all the polyps bail out in just a few hours

Seconding what @max_nano said.

Euphyllia tend to be hardy. Torches seem to be the exception to that rule. If you really want another torch, I'd spend the extra money to buy some of the green tipped ones off endeavouraquatics on eBay (even better if you can find some people to split shipping with; there may be a few people in the original group buy thread that didn't get a chance to go through with it that are interested).

I don't pay for things that way well be dead in 24 hours. The one occasion I took in a piece of livestock on death's door (a clam that had been gaping for a week and I expected to die several days prior) I did so on the condition that it was a free rescue, and I would pay for it *if* and only if it survived a month. I fully expected it to be dead within 24 hours, and with some skill and a lot of luck the little guy pulled through. Obviously you need to have both a good reputation and a good relationship with a LFS to pull this off.

As a footnote, there were no other clams in my system at the time, or I wouldn't have risked adding this one.

Back