Jestersix

DBTC - Nassarius vibex Snails

lattehiatus

Past President
Time to trim down the population! These Nassarius vibex snails are reproducing quickly.

Quick care information: Full size is approximately 1/4". Typically part of a clean-up crew, these are detrivores that will consume leftover food and dying organisms. They prefer a fine sand substrate to burrow in but will also climb glass and rocks, and although not optimal, can subsist in a bare-bottom tank. These snails exhibit some amusing behavior when they race across the sand during feeding time, and they appear to enjoy competitions where multiple snails will climb up the glass, detach, and fall to the sand. X-treme snail sports? :bigsmile:

I can produce 3 packs of a dozen snails each. Pickup at the upcoming swap on September 8th preferred.

Preference will be given to those who have HOB refugiums. In correspondence with GDawson, it seems that we both have reproducing nassarius populations, and we also both have refugiums that return water to the display by gravity instead of by pump. The nassarius life cycle is supposed to have a veliger larval stage that lasts several weeks, so it is possible that the lack of centrifugal pumps allows the veliger to survive. I would be interested to see if anyone can replicate breeding in their systems to pass these forward. I wasn't certain these are definitively Nassarius vibex, so I asked Dr. Ron Shimek to weigh in, and he believes that they are indeed Nassarius.

IMG_2912Large.jpg

IMG_2933Large.jpg

IMG_1265Large.jpg

[youtube]r2pYEqdHSSk[/youtube]

If anyone wants some nassarius at the upcoming BAP workshop on October 13th, I can scrounge up enough snails for a few more packs.

I may take you up on this, David. I'm contemplating setting up a 10g experiment to test the self-sustainable system without water changes so I'll need some species to populate the tank. I'll be sure to update you sometime at the end of this week or next week. I just need to pick up a few key items.

Mike - keeping my fingers crossed for the breeding!

Denzil - no hurry if you can't set up the 10g by next weekend, there's no mad demand for nassarius snails and it's looking like they'll remain prolific.

Back