got ethical husbandry?

DBTC question- not answered elsewhere

Roc

So something came to mind yesterday and I wasn't sure how to handle it.

I was giving a VERY nice amount of a coral from Tuberider at teh June meeting. It's actualy more then I need, so I mounted them to some frag plugs and started a DBTC thread here (seems like the right thing so far right?)

Now for the question, because Tuberider JUST offered this coral, there might not be many (or any) takers, so what happens then? My question from here on out gets more complacated, mainly becuase I have just started a DBTC program at another club and want to get things in line from the get go.

1. By offering the coral, does one fullfill the "condictions" of the DBTC members orginal thread, even if no one wants it?
2. Can that coral then be sold or traded?
3. If someone has another DBTC program they belong to, can they offer the coral there and {fullfill the orginal members condictions} or does the coral NEED to be redistrubted to a BAR member.
4. If no one takes it and it cannot be distrubted to another club to fullfill the condictions can it be traded, sold, or DBTC'ed to another club, and does that mean I would need to start another DBTC thread here in the future of the same coral?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get my mind around this programs orginal intent's and stay true to them while setting up another.

1. IMO, yes if you offer the coral and wait a reasonable amount of time (I'll leave that open) and no one wants it I think you can honestly take a mulligan and assume "2 frags have been returned" etc. However, I think the reality is the "rules" are loose so they do fall to interpretation, perhaps asking the original starter "No one wants it, can I say I fulfilled my obligation because I did offer X frags back". Honestly what I do, assuming it's something I still want, is I offer it but I don't make frags unless people say they want it, why bother chopping up a coral only to have multiple copies of that same coral growing in my tank if no one else is going to want a frag.
2. Depends upon what the original person wish, I've only seen a few with specifications "can not be sold or traded unless for equally cool stuff" period, most simply have that as a requirement until you've given back.
3. I don't think clubs DBTC (regardless of club) should be intermingled between clubs unless it's specifically for that purpose.
4. Again open to interpretations, if you made an honest attempt to give back what you got, I'd say yeah. However I would try to offer it to club members first, for free at a meeting or something (assuming your other club has meetings), simply because there are people who might not know about DBTC, be a little shy, not want to ask for it in the program because they're unsure of their abilities, etc. That way you manage to continue to propagate it within the club a bit without it being "official" I can't count the number of new members in this club that got corals that way from various members.

Oh and the number one rule about DBTC you need to understand, is that there are no firm rules, each person who offers the coral has their own set of guidelines, and the reason this program worked so nice here I think is because of that loose structure.

Roc, feel free to pass on those frags as an interclub DBTC, there's plenty of it in our club.

AFA distribution rules that is up to the provider, in my case I'm pretty laid back, and am pleased to see other clubs starting DBTC programs. In that regard I'm more than happy to let stuff go, shoot I'll donate coral to your club to get DBTC started.

The only caveat (which I don't spell out in my rules), is the sale of coral. I don't like it, you can do it, but it's like selling a gift, know what I'm sayin'.

Yea I understand the "rules" part of it, actually what I should have written is guidlines. At my other club only about 4 ppl understand what DBTC is or how it works, and there has already been some misunderstanding. I used the FAQ's from this site to give ppl a better understanding, but thought I could expand on the FAQ's with answers to these questions.

As far as the coral I have offered here, I think I will just leave it up for awhile and then take your advice and ask the orginal donner, how they feel about it being donated to my other club under the DBTC.

For the record I'm not really into selling corals ever, I would much rather trade or give it to someone else.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4007.msg47672#msg47672 date=1214838476]
Roc, feel free to pass on those frags as an interclub DBTC, there's plenty of it in our club.

AFA distribution rules that is up to the provider, in my case I'm pretty laid back, and am pleased to see other clubs starting DBTC programs. In that regard I'm more than happy to let stuff go, shoot I'll donate coral to your club to get DBTC started.

The only caveat (which I don't spell out in my rules), is the sale of coral. I don't like it, you can do it, but it's like selling a gift, know what I'm sayin'.

[/quote]

Well since I just posted it yesterday we will wait it out here for a bit, but I'm sure the corals will end up in a great home, either at this club or the NCNRS club.

I think part of the program is like a coral bank. For instance if I went back into the bowels of DBTC, and bumped a thread from a year ago, chances are that person still has that coral. I have corals I've given up on trying to give away, but still have them. If someone were to come along and ask for a frag I'd gladly give it to them.

The rules of DBTC are so simple a caveman can DBTC, it's up to the donor, and rules can change depending on the coral. That's why I keep my rules simple, I'm somewhat of an anarchist.

Back