got ethical husbandry?

DBTC: Rainbow Rhino Zoa

Update: 4-5 polyps right now. Its been slow and steady with these polyps. My melaranus has been knocking frags around the sand bed when he sleeps so need to start moving them around in the tank

Thanks for the update. My frag in my display has about 6 polyps but recently shrunk due to my alkalinity dropping.

Frag in my frag tank going to vincent is doing good.

Got 1 more baby polyp growing out will be available in a few weeks.

Surprisingly, "KNOCK ON WOOD", all my previous Rhino's (even the ones I got from the originator) were sensitive and usually melted from alk dips/spikes. These have been pretty resilient.

Very glad I put this in DBTC.

My colony died and the one polyp frag I have is shrinking more every day.

When you guys think you might have a frag ready to safely cut, let me know. :)

Just wondering, either @Vhuang168 or @650-IS350 did the polyps I give you stay big? The original polyp was almost the size of a nickel.

I might be able to cut a frag. Just need to figure out which one is the Rainbow and which is the other Rhino I got from the prize pack. Mine gets big but not nickel size. Maybe bigger than dime size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its been variable... days its big, sometimes shrinks a little. I haven't checked him in a bit to see if any new buds under the parent polyps. Don't want to bother them.

Sup with these zoas? Are they slow growing or something or did something just fall off the map?

I see that the original frags were distributed back in October 2015 and around Januarish 2016. Over six months in between and no frags have been distributed since.

Gives me a moment of pause and reconsideration of the DBTC program.

They are slow growing and can be fragile. I have 4-5 polyps only and maybe I can frag 1 polyp that is a little further than the rest.

I am entrusted with the growth of this coral and I'm not about to frag it willy nilly just to get frags out. I was going to wait till I had a fuller colony but since @Enderturtle needs a frag I'm going to risk it.

DBTC program is NOT a way for me to get free coral. I don't see it as a way to distribute coral. It is a way to have backups in case the originator looses his/her colony.

Last edited:
Must just be me, since I frag corals a polyp at a time if needed (zoas and palys are extremely easy to frag with scalpels), especially if an originator of the coral is looking for a frag.

Having a backup is great, but so is distributing the frags down the line (beyond the originator). So many broken chains in DBTC and lack of activity in the subforums.

I've got a few items that I'm growing for others in the dbtc. I just passed on an RBTA to another member. I've never started my own chain because I don't feel I have anything of real value.

@Enderturtle I just fragged mine. 1 adult polyp and 1 baby.

6c94a56547443f4fd7998c0e318fdf3d.jpg

97e69f803546920ff025c7e8a7d3f654.jpg

I have not put it on a frag plug cuz I know you don't like plugs from other tanks. But if you want me to, I can.

Reactions: Ibn
Back