Kessil

DBTCX-Leng Sy cap

Mr. Ugly

Past President
I can make 2 frags of my Leng Sy cap. I got it as a frag at the July '05 BAR swap on my 4th round pick. I think I was letter G or something like that :)

This frag came from SandDollar/Rich, who got it from Mike Paletta, who got it from Leng Sy.

I'd promised one of the frags to someone a while back, so I'll have one more to give away.

Who do I want to get this frag? PM me here if:

- you are a BAR, MARS, SEABay, CVS etc member.
- you will post frags of your own cool(whatever that mean to you) coral on this forum for propping.
- you are good with SPS.
- you agree to frag the LS to at least 2 others for free before trading etc.
- you can pick it up from me at a BAR meeting or in Alameda.
- and preferably can post growth pics of the cap to this thread periodically.

I'll figure some way to pick a name. If your name doesn't get picked, maybe you can get one of the next batch/generation of frags? :)

This frag started out under 2x250 10k AB for about 3 months before I switched to 2x250 14k Hamilton. It's at the top of the tank right now. The purple edge doesn't show well under 14k, but is very intense under more yellow/white light.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea.
It's much brighter in person :)
lengsy.jpg

[edited to add tank parameters]

Targeted tank parameters:

Alk 3.45 meq
Ca 430 ppm
Mg 1350 ppm
pH 8.3
s.g. 1.025
temp 79

wow very nice piece Mr. Ugly.. I'm sure someone will jump on it.. :) ..
Do you see any different between this and the regular purple rim cap?

Elite,

Well, there are lots of different purple rim green caps. I have a non Leng Sy one as well.

The LS started out as a drab tan brown with no purple, and it colored up in time. It has white polyps and a coarse surface texture.

The non-LS I bought as a green cap. It was already really bright green when I got it, but it had no purple. No white polyps either. The surface is fairly smooth but has nice radial ridges and spikey tubercles/nodules, which is why I bought it. I was really surprised when the edge turned purple after a while. Actually, the purple on this one shows more under the 14k than the purple on the LS.

Hehehe, if you put it *that* way... no frags for you! :)

Will see what I have that can't be killed :)

I'm thinking Pavona cactus, potato chip coral. It's super fluorescent green under actinics. Been told that it has survived being buried under rocks :)

Ok, I have one definate and one maybe for propping the frags.

PM if you would like to be a backup for the 2nd frag if the maybe turns to no :)

Eeesh... I didn't think it would be so hard to give away LE frags :)

I take it if nobody taking it.. I can pick it up next time we have a meeting. I can give Rich the macro frag at that time too.. :)

Eeesh... I didn't think it would be so hard to give away LE frags
Because it's a cap :D .. If it a PM or Superman, it would be gone by now...

Yeah, if someone wanted to prop a Bruddah superman, I'd be all over it :)

Btw, I worked really hard to turn the LS from brown to green with purple edge, y'know! :)

I know :) ...

remember the first BAR workshop?? There was a cap with purple rim too. I picked up a small piece. It's just start to show purple rim now. It hasn't grow much for some reason. It was about 1/2" now it's about 1 1/2". I'm wondering who got other frags..

If I was a bit more confident about keeping sps I'd have asked for one Norman :) Although on a good note the 2 sps I got (in the eleventeenth round where every got 812 picks) are still alive with polyps :)

Whoohoo! After much arm twisting... hehehe, I have 2 confirmed frag farmers for the LS :)

Seminolecpa and Lefty!

I'll get the pieces fragged and let them recover in my tank while we get the arrangements made for the corals to go to their new homes.

Well I just realized not too long ago when I made fresh mix of instant ocean it had a calcium of about 320 and alk of 4dkH. Fine for fish, not so much for stonies

I use IO, and dump in about 8ml each of the Randy recipe Ca and Mg per gallon of freshly made sw.

To keep my alk/Ca levels up, I dose about 90ml each of the 2-part daily. I'll check Mg after I do a water change, and add enough to raise it to 1350ppm. Then I"ll ignore Mg until the next water change or so.

That pretty much lets my stonies grow fast. and I get enough coralline that it's annoying :)

Some people make up their sw with 1/2 IO and 1/2 Oceanic. IO is low in Ca, and Oceanic is low alk, so this way it's supposed to balance out. I do have some Oceanic that I think I'll try with some IO in my prop tank.

Back