High Tide Aquatics

DC powered return pumps

I've been thinking about trying one of the DC powered return pumps. I've always used standard AC pumps on all my tanks. I'd like to hear from those of you that have used them or are currently using one. What do you use? and why? Do you like them? what about reliabilty?
My current Ehiem 1260 has been running for over 10 years, ( to me, that is a reliable pump). I read some posts on RC saying 6 months -1 yr. and some of the dc pumps are done. what are your thoughts guys and gals?

Thoughts... if you have an Eheim 1260, you're happy with the flow, and it's been running 10 years no reason to swap it out until it does die.

If you go the DC pump direction, stay away from the ultra-cheap ones (Jebao, and it's ilk), the pumps themselves are fine (for the most part) it's the controller that tends to crap out. My Waveline (or Speedwave, don't remember the brand) recently crapped out after quite a few years, not sure what the issue is though. Temporarily replaced with an Eheim I was using as a mixing pump, but I did pick up a Deepwater Aquatics pump, which looks a bit more robust, the controller is enclosed in a metal case (aluminum maybe), hopefully have better luck.

I have dual Jebao DCT pumps.
Quiet, lower power.
The older Jebao (DC not DCT) had big time reliability issues. Second generation seems to have fixed most of that.
Still, I have two, just in case.
As a bonus, I can clean one at a time, and still get circulation.

Fairly large rotor, and lower heat, so I think there is less pump-stalling calcium buildup.
So slightly less maintenance.

Controlling output digitally is fun, but really not so important.

Note that you can get your own power supply, and there are adapters to replace the controller as well.
So with a bit of work, you can make them very reliable.

The current generation of DC pumps are great. I've been running a Jebao DC6000 on the 40b for about 6 months now I think n the pump came from a tank that had it running over a year.

But you have to realize that these do need more regular maintenance. Their tolerances aren't as tight, gunk does build up and causes jams.

If you are running Apex, either the COR, Ecotech Vectra are good choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running as Jebao DCS-12000 for over a year or so now without any problems (though it's way oversized for our current 40breeder).

I first bought a Jebao DC-9000 (first gen before DCT and then DCS models) and had pumps seize up once or twice and a power supply die.

If you want to spend big money, the Vectra or Abyzz pumps are excellent. If you want a value, the newer Jebaos seem fine IMHO. Whatever you choose for a return pump or heater, you should have a hot backup you can swap in.

thanks everyone for your .02cents worth. I definetly know one thing, If I do try one, I'll have a back up pump just in case. ( not an issue, since I currently always have a back up pump laying around)

I use the waveline 12000. I had to change out the controller, but was given a gen 2 version and has been running solid for a couple years now. Excellent customer service.

Well, my "cheap" DC return pump failed on me when I was at work, and the tank suffocated, lost one fish, another was on it's deathbed. I revived them by putting a small powerhead with an air-venturi on it, and the suffocating fish revived soon after that.

As Mike said, it's the controller that craps out. I swapped back in my Via Aqua 3600 (or 2600, can't remember) that has driven my return for 15 years before the stupid DC pump, and I'm not likely to change it.

Having said that, it's nice to be able to turn on a "feed mode", but I'm sure if I really wanted to I could just switch off the AC pump as well for feeding, which I never do anyway.

Don't get a cheap on, research on reliability first, cost second.

V

that's what my exact concerns where Vincerama2. To have a pump fail while I'm away. My wife or kids could not fix. It would be a major problem if it was to happen.

Back