Cali Kid Corals

Dead plate coral

So I ordered a fungia online and when I received it the bag was full of mucous and was bone white. No tissue what's so ever. Definitely looked dead to me. Last night I look at the coral and I see some tentacles coming out. Is this guy still alive? I've read online that fungia can come back alive and produce a bunch of babies. Should I just leave the fungia in my tank and try my luck? :)

the Fungia can look like a skeleton when it's pissed off. but yeah if it was dead it can produce babies deff leave it in the tank. Jim has some dead 1/4th of a plate that has been popping off babies for 3 years!

Definitely keep the skeleton in your tank (and clear of sand/debris!) It might have babies or it might recover. LPS have a weird way of looking dead and them coming back to life!

I also have a mostly dead fungia that I think I see signs of life on. It'll stay in the tank until I'm completely sure it's dead, even then I'll leave it in!

V

Can I put it underneath a ledge away from the light or is it possible to put in my refugium in my sump?

Is this also true for lobophyllia? Have they been known to come back to life?

Back