Jestersix

[Dec 14, 2013] Rich Ross Talk & Potluck 12/14/13 (Hayward, CA)

222527_358755317547273_1699593298_n-L.jpg

BAR is proud to announce Rich Ross of the Steinhart Aquarium to close out our stellar line up of guest speakers in 2013. Please vote what talk you would like to hear at this link: http://www.bareefers.org/forum/inde...-would-you-like-to-hear-from-rich-ross.15954/ Along with the talk, BAR has a long standing tradition of potlucks that feature some great food. Please indicate what you will bring and don't forget to RSVP. :)

Last edited:
You may be a whiz at hacking up corals and propagating them, but how good are you with a kitchen knife? ;)

Let's get the ball rolling on what y'all are bringing to the potluck! (I'm going to regret this because I always get hungry as I'm perusing through what everyone's planning to make)

Since I just finished baking a pumpkin to make pie tomorrow, I guess I'll make something with pumpkin in it. Leaning toward cupcakes since they are so easy to deal with at a potluck.

Now I've made myself hungry! Tostadas didn't help, just reinforced the need for food!!! :)

Mmm... Tostadas and pumpkin cupcakes sound positively delightful!

John, does sugar pumpkin puree keep well in the refrigerator? I've always used pumpkin puree within a couple days, just curious about your experience with the refrigerated shelf life.

Mmm... Tostadas and pumpkin cupcakes sound positively delightful!

John, does sugar pumpkin puree keep well in the refrigerator? I've always used pumpkin puree within a couple days, just curious about your experience with the refrigerated shelf life.

Never used fresh punkin before. The portion not used tomorrow is frozen. Two weeks in frig seems long for what looks like 'growth media'. :)

This thread is officially OFF TOPIC!

When the topics of discussion are Rich Ross and potlucks, name anything and I'll make a connection in three steps. There's nothing irrelevant under the sun. :D

For anyone uninitiated with BAR potlucks:
1. Homemade dishes are preferred!
2. There is a refrigerator/freezer available if needed, and a toaster oven (possibly also a microwave). Our potlucks are more picnic style so room temperature dishes are ideal.
3. Please try to bring any servingware your dish needs, and post in this thread if you're bringing anything that can't be plated onto a paper plate and consumed using a fork.
4. Labels are great! You can print your own at home or create one at the event, indicating what your dish is and who brought it. Going the extra step and identifying which ingredients are in your dish (to prevent allergic reactions) makes you a superstar!
5. Portion: This is a little challenging, just bring what you're comfortable with. My own rule of thumb is to bring enough for 10 to 12 people to have a typical "side" portion.

David, will there be electric plugs available near where we're setting up the food tables? I was thinking about making something in the crockpot and then just bringing the crockpot and plugging it in there to keep the food warm.

Yeah I don't recall having a potluck in that room, not sure if there plugs available. Steve would be the best person to answer this, it might not do well if a bunch of people brought crock pots and plugged them in all at the same time :D

Not sure if I want to do sweet or savory though, I always prefer non-sweets at potlucks from a person who's eating (mostly because I have a bit of a sweet tooth and very low will power), but what do others think? Pumpkin cheese cake? Or bean heavy chili?

Back