Our mission

[Dec 6, 2014] End-of-the-Year Potluck with Richard Ross (Hayward, CA)

BAR will be hosting our annual, end-of-the-year potluck with none other than Rich Ross, founder of BAR (@Thales), Senior Biologist of the Steinhart Aquarium, and MASNA Aquarist of the Year. Please take a moment to briefly read through his biography below to get to know him better before you meet this amazing celebrity IN PERSON! :)

Richard Ross, the 2014 MASNA Aquarist of the Year, is a Senior Biologist at the Steinhart Aquarium in the California Academy of Sciences where he cultures and cares for exotic cephalopods, fish & coral, participates in ongoing field work on coral spawning, animal collection & transport, and manages tropical saltwater displays including the 212,000 Philippine Coral Reef exhibit. He is a prolific writer and dynamic speaker, authoring academic papers and a catalog of articles on aquarium and reef related educational topics including his Skeptical Reefkeeping series which focuses on critical thinking, responsibility and ethics of aquarium keeping. His work has been covered by mainstream media outlets including Scientific American, National Geographic, Penn’s Sunday School and Fox News.

Richard has kept saltwater animals for over 25 years, and has worked in aquarium maintenance, retail, wholesale and has consulted for a coral farm/fish collecting station in the South Pacific. Before working in the animal world was a professional Juggler and corporate presentation script writer. He is an avid underwater photographer/videographer and has been fortunate to scuba dive many of the worlds reefs. At home he cares for a 300 gallon reef system and a 250 gallon cephalopod/fish breeding system, a hairless dog, 2 hairless cats, 2 geckos and 6 chickens. When not doing all that stuff, he enjoys glass blowing, juggling, horseback riding, mixed martial arts, exercising his philosophy degree, spending time with his fabulous daughter and his incredibly generous, intelligent, gorgeous and patient wife.

Richard has done a bunch of other stuff as well, including being a stay at home dad, glass blowing, juggling, corporate presenting, newspaper layout and design and philosophy.

Juggling

Martial Arts

Improvisation

Glass Blowing
ulufeke-300x225.jpg

Why is there an octopus on Rich’s head?
While training divers on responsible and sustainable fish and coral collection in Tonga, we came across this octopus. As Tonga is mostly a substance culture, the divers we were training wanted to catch the octopus to help feed their families. One of them grabbed a claw hammer and proceeded to smash up several meters of coral while catching the octopus. On the boat I asked him ‘we just spent all day talking about how not to damage the reef, and there are easier ways to catch octopus, so why use a hammer?’. He answered ‘they bite’. ‘No they don’t’ I said, picking up the octopus and putting it on my head, where luckily it didn’t bite me, going on to discuss better ways to catch octopus. We then talked about how sustainable and responsible ideas applied to everything including fishing, and how respecting habitat means there will be creatures there for a long time to come.

Source: http://packedhead.net/about/

EVENT DETAILS
Event Sponsors:
TBD
Event Registration Form & Payment: RSVP above! No payment required!
*Event Schedule/Itinerary:
11:00 AM - 11:30 AM
| Event registration, networking, food preparation
11:30 AM - 12:00 PM | Lunch!
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM | Rich Ross speaks in conjunction with live Q&A

*Please note that this schedule is tentative and may change at any time. Please check here for the most up-to-date schedule.

Rich's Topic of Discussion:

Phosphate – that word you keep using, I do not think it means what you think it means.

The drive to lower phosphate levels in reef aquaria has consumed reefers for the last decade, but is this never ending quest really necessary to have a thriving reef tank? This talk will discuss successful reef aquariums that run ‘high’ and ‘absurdly high’ phosphate and nitrate levels without experiencing disaster, possible reasons why this is happening, issues with testing, and what this might mean for reef keeping in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone! Please RSVP above if you plan to attend and then post below of what you will be bringing!! Please bring serving utensils if applicable for your dish! A label would also be nice if you can remember! I'll bring plates, cups, plastic forks, napkins. Please let me know here if you can come a little earlier to help set up and then clean up afterwards! Thanks!!

Hi Everyone! Please RSVP above if you plan to attend and then post below of what you will be bringing!! Please bring serving utensils if applicable for your dish! A label would also be nice if you can remember! I'll bring plates, cups, plastic forks, napkins. Please let me know here if you can come a little earlier to help set up and then clean up afterwards! Thanks!!
Hi Geneva,
I plan to bring a dessert which I have never done before. It is a crunchy almond brioche with a pastry creme filling. If it doesn't work, I will figure out something. Is there anything you really need? Let me know.

Maybe it is just me, or people,may be waiting a little longer before replying, but the club seems to be having less and less people attending events. Not much of a club if people don't want to socialize and discuss their hobby.

Yes, strange. We usually have a lot of people at the pot-lucks. Plus Rich is always fun.
Although tough around the holidays.

It's generally tough around the holidays for attendance but we'll certainly welcome any of you who can attend! Quantity doesn't necessarily quantify quality in our case. :)

I'll be there but will have to leave promptly as my work christmas party is that evening. Need to figure out what to bring yet. Perhaps samosas (not home made sorry) ad I have yet to find a good source of them in my area. Good time to try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The hardest part about a potluck is not overdoing it with all the yummy food. Especially since I have a party that night.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mike is bringing me drinks? guess I have to attend not sure what time......noon is good but 11am is a little if I do my volunteer rounds.

Back