High Tide Aquatics

DFS Live Aquaria Reef Salt

very interesting...

p-102892-102488K-004Z.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4685+38075&pcatid=38075

Parameters
Salinity: 35 ppt (1.026 sg)
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1,350-1,450 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.5dKH
Strontium: 9 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

Basically the same price as IORC....wonder if it leaves the same brown crud on the mixing barrels? And if the Alk drops during storage...

"Please Note:
In-home analysis with commercially available test kits may result in deviation due to variables including test kit type, age, brand, and testing technique."

Actually would be nice to know which test method they use... do any manufacturers disclose that?

"Please Note:
In-home analysis with commercially available test kits may result in deviation due to variables including test kit type, age, brand, and testing technique."

Actually would be nice to know which test method they use... do any manufacturers disclose that?
Seems like their stated parameters already include deviation much wider than that of commonly used test kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What causes the alk drop during storage? you mean if the bag is open?

IIRC many "reef" salts have higher than stable concentrations of alk/cal/etc. When it is mixed and immediately added to a tank as 10%/20% change, it is diluted and is able to bring the tank parameters back up, within a stable range in the tank. When the mixed water is just stored separately, the alk/etc will precipitate out until a stable level is reached.

Regular non-reef salts don't have this problem because their parameters are at a stable level.

RSCP since it's a smaller bucket vs. the 5g ones. I'd be all over this one if it was available in the smaller size.

I have 1/2 bucket left of IO so this is tempting.

Yet another salt ....
Specs look decent, but with a single bag in the 200G box, not for me.

At least it is not one of those "premium" ones. I still say those fancy salts are a bad idea. :mad:

1) They push alk/ca levels too high.
This makes it hard to mix and you get precipitation if not used instantly.
2) They add who knows what, so they can make big marketing claims.
Sometimes organics.
Sometimes random trace elements.
But the key - you don't really know what it is.
3) They are expensive.
Sometimes double the amount of regular salt, for a tiny increase in a few random elements.
4) The hype gets people to switch all over.
Switching salt is risky for your tank due to stability issues.

The alternative:
Get basic simple Instant Ocean or other cheap but good quality one.
Increase your dosing pumps to bump up Alk/Ca as needed.
Then add exactly what trace/organics you feel like.
And stick with your plan.
Cheaper, and you know exactly what you are putting in.

In line with the DFS salt, I think Instant Ocean is going to limit its distribution and also increase pricing. Will be interesting to see. I'm a 7 year believer of Instant Ocean too.

Unfortunately, my first batch of DFS salt had Alk drop from 8.9 to 8.2 in 3 days. Guess it's just rebranded Fritz. Will continue to test in a few days.

Just got going with the RSCP.
Some minor precipitation after storing it first day but otherwise it's fine. Called REd SEa and they told me to NOT mix it again and keep it airtight as possible. Alk been holding steady at 8.7. Last time I check CA it was a whopping 460 or 480 a couple weeks back.
Did better than I/O for keeping Alk up. I do daily 3/4 gallon changes with the DOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back