Neptune Aquatics

Diatom bloom after moving the tank

I moved my 24 gallon tank from upstairs to downstairs a week+ ago—with nearly all the water removed, rocks pulled out, and with the sand substrate getting sloshed around pretty well. I believe there's now a substantial diatom bloom. Brown powdery stuff covering the sand and glass. Easy to remove, feels gritty and not stringy. I don't think it's dino's or cyano but I haven't looked under a scope.
Should I take steps (like reduced feeding/lighting etc.) or just wait it out. I'm assuming the major disturbance to the substrate and rocks triggered the release of nutrients into the water (i.e. silicates).

Last edited:
It looks like after moving my 24 gallon tank from upstairs to downstair where I had to remove nearly all the water and rocks—with the sand substrate getting sloshed around pretty well—that I now have a substantial diatom bloom a week or two after the move. Brown powdery stuff covering the sand and glass. Easy to remove, feels gritty and not stringy. I don't think it's dino's or cyano but I haven't looked under a scope.
Should I take steps (like reduced feeding/lighting etc.) or just wait it out. I'm assuming the major disturbance to the substrate and rocks triggered the release of nutrients into the water (i.e. silicates).
I just moved a 10g into a 20g. Same argo sand bed, same rocks, same water + 10g about 2 weeks ago. Had an ammonia spike and new cycle again. It's progressing quickly, but I think you are right about stirring up the system.

Back