Jestersix

Did I screw up with tank mates?

borker

Supporting Member
Team,

Have had a tank up and running (100 gallon mixed reef) for about 18 months. It didn't 'crash' but a poor maintenance led to an algae / dino buildup that stressed and killed of some of my coral / livestock.

A bunch of water changes later and things have stabilized... less algae, coral growing again etc.

The sole survivor of the previous livestock were my urchins + a Diana's Hogfish.

Now that I have more time to dedicate - I went and bought 3 fish from LiveAquaria. They are arriving today, and here's the fish:

1) Large Dragonet (3-4 inches)
2) Medium Lawnmower Blenny
3) Medium Niger Trigger

I'm feeling kind of stupid because I thought if I introduced the trigger at the same time as the other two fish into the established tank, there wouldn't be a problem. I'm now reading that it might be.

Any thoughts from this crew on how bad of a situation this is? Should I keep the trigger or dragonet in the sump? Anything I can do but watch and see?

Triggers are usually not a fit with a tank with corals. Not a ton of experience with Niger triggers here, but I know they can be somewhat aggressive. Since you already ordered I would observe closely and see what happens and be ready to remove the trigger or the smaller fish. (Often easier said than done)

The hogfish may eat your blenny. Almost certain when hogfish is fully grown.
I had a cuban hogfish. If it could fit in the mouth, it was considered food.
Trigger will be questionable with corals. Probably nibble. Never had one though.
Both will eat inverts.

Ive had a 3-4" niger trigger in my reef. It was really active and made huffing sounds during feeding time. It never touched my corals but sadly it jumped so I recommend a top cover of some sorts.

Hey guys - I didn't expect the hogfish to eat the blenny - that was a combo I hadn't considered. My tank is definitely not invert friendly (hence the stars and urchins exclusively + some big snails).

I don't have a top - and don't want to get one so will have to see about jumping.

You can easily make/buy a screen cover for the tank. Installed flush with the top of the glass.
Barely visible, easy to remove.
No need for some giant cabinet.

Hey guys - I didn't expect the hogfish to eat the blenny - that was a combo I hadn't considered. My tank is definitely not invert friendly (hence the stars and urchins exclusively + some big snails).

I don't have a top - and don't want to get one so will have to see about jumping.
I really believe you need to rethink this. It’s like having a kid that can’t swim with no fence around your pool.
Or a clueless dog livi g next to a busy road with no fence in the yard and a doggie door.

Well they’re in the tank now. Does anyone want to take the trigger off my hands before damage is done?
May be too late...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well they’re in the tank now. Does anyone want to take the trigger off my hands before damage is done?
May be too late...

I may have a good shot at pulling the trigger out - OK to put in my sump and should I try to catch him?

I never knew triggers cared about coral. Everything I read about them was, aggressive and eats inverts.

Back