Kessil

Dino and GHA at the same time?

newfly

Supporting Member
Is it possible? I will try to get some pics. From what I can tell I have a some Dino and at the same time GHA is thriving .

I thought it’s either Dino or GHA and not both.

I believe I had both in my frag tank not too long ago. I went blue light only, added a skimmer and a UV and fed heavier than normal and the dinos cleared up pretty quickly.

My dinos exploded in my tank when I started adding chaetogro to my system to help my chaeto reactor. So I think it's totally possible. Whatever is feeding your GHA is feeding your Dinos.

I've been reading a lot about dinos recently, and thinking about them. Based on what I've seen so far, I believe It's definitely possible to have dinos along with just about anything else.

Depending on what type of dinos, the best competitor seems to be diatoms, but I don't think anyone understands why. It's definitely not about fighting for phosphate/nitrate, which is what I believe hair algae are believed to be consuming.

Thank you all for the response. I noticed my snails start dying a few at a time. I read Dinos are toxic when consumed. Maybe that’s killing the snails.

I measure my nutrient and phosphate jump to 0.1 ( it was more or less stable at 0.04 so I don’t test often. My guess for the spike is likely due to dead snails or Reef Energy dosing. Nitrate is not measurable but I dose some amount weekly to keep it just above zero. Maybe I should dose more

Just change out GFO and carbon to reduce phosphate. Also set my light to be all blue.

So far Dinos is not a plague yet. I blow it off every morning.

Thank you all for the response. I noticed my snails start dying a few at a time. I read Dinos are toxic when consumed. Maybe that’s killing the snails.

I measure my nutrient and phosphate jump to 0.1 ( it was more or less stable at 0.04 so I don’t test often. My guess for the spike is likely due to dead snails or Reef Energy dosing. Nitrate is not measurable but I dose some amount weekly to keep it just above zero. Maybe I should dose more

Just change out GFO and carbon to reduce phosphate. Also set my light to be all blue.

So far Dinos is not a plague yet. I blow it off every morning.
I believe the ones that are toxic are the ones that are susceptible to UV sterilizers. There's a fb group that someone from this club introduced me to (I'm blanking on his forum name). The FB group is Mack's reef dino .... It's got pretty good information, though a lot of it smells like pseudo-science and correlations versus actual analysis. The dino id info is great though, and people are very helpful.

I believe the ones that are toxic are the ones that are susceptible to UV sterilizers. There's a fb group that someone from this club introduced me to (I'm blanking on his forum name). The FB group is Mack's reef dino .... It's got pretty good information, though a lot of it smells like pseudo-science and correlations versus actual analysis. The dino id info is great though, and people are very helpful.

You are referring to the species Osteropsis, they have been found to contain palytoxin and have the ability to kill coral, fish and inverts. UV does work against them when the lights go out and the leave the substrate and other surfaces in search of food/light.

Fwiw from the FB group they don't recommend the lights out, which seems to hurt coral more than dinos, and once the lights come back so do dinos.

I'd upload the PDF here, but I assume they don't want it distributed unless you join the group. It's got good stuff.

It's also not worth going out of the way to do UV unless you first identify the type. As RandyC said, it only matters if you have the types of dinos that enter the water column in the dark. Those types also happen to be toxic. However, those are easier to battle than the other ones, assuming you get a big ass UV.

Peroxide they have suggested dosing regiments.

Here a pic taken at night. Is this Dinos? It mostly disappear in mid day.

Attachments

• 3599DC73-3ED2-4341-B8F2-2A95A7757967.jpeg
    3599DC73-3ED2-4341-B8F2-2A95A7757967.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 100
I’d think about why nitrate is 0 and work on changing that

I have been struggling with keeping Nitrate >0. Up to now, i am manually dosing nitrate maybe once or twice a month to bring from 0-->5, whenever i test. I just order yet another dosing pump, so i can automate the dosing. I think its my OCD to keep the tank clean. Its a bare bottom with high flow. Nothing really accumulate. Filter floss get changed out every 3-4 days. Phosphate is fine, in fact i have to use GFO to keep it ~0.04 ppm

By the way, what i have is not Dinos but Cyno. A friend come over and swear its Cyno. I had some chemiclean left over and did a dose yesterday. Sure enough, everything is clear up this morning.

Still my nutrition imbalance is an issue. Hopefully NItrate dosing will help.

Back