Jestersix

Dino ID Guide

Found this resource on R2R the other day... it's a really nicely put together guide to ID dinos and some suggested actions.

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 274
This was actually the guide I used when I first ID'd dinos in my tank and started learning everything I could about them. Helpful guide!

Interesting. These pics are in dino guide on Jason Mack's Facebook group. He has a group which can be very helpful with dino fighting.

Wonder who stole from who, or if they are posted by the same person.

Interesting. These pics are in dino guide on Jason Mack's Facebook group. He has a group which can be very helpful with dino fighting.

You’re dealing with Dino so much you’re in a group!? ;)

Now Dino has ita supporting group. This dino thing became such a common misconception that every reefers now days think they have dino.

Last edited:
Now Dino has ita supporting group. This dino has became such a common misconception that every reefers now days think they have dino.
Because lots do? Dino is in every tank, but as long as you keep the balance it normally stays in low enough levels its not an issue.

Because lots do? Dino is in every tank, but as long as you keep the balance it normally stays in low enough levels its not an issue.
I do not think so,
you think if I microscope a sample of my water now I will see dino?
If dino is in every tank, it would be useless to say confirm you have dino with microscope before you treat, cause it will always yield presence of dino...do not you think?

Last edited:
I do not think so,
you think if I microscope a sample of my water now I will see dino?
If dino is in every tank, it would be useless to say confirm you have dino with microscope before you treat, cause it will always yield presence of dino...do not you think?

I'd argue that it's a case of numbers. I know for a fact that I have prorocentrum dinos in my 20 gallon tank because I've taken sand/water samples and seen a couple every now and then since seeing them last June, but my tank still looks pristine. The difference is that when I see them now, it's maybe 1 or 2 per *slide*, versus 100+ per field of view when I dealt with the outbreak. It's really, really hard to get rid of all of a microorganism, and all it takes is a couple in favorable conditions (limiting nutrients, low biodiversity, etc) to cause an outbreak.

If I were to have cyanobacteria overgrowing my tank, but I saw a couple dinos in the cyano, my gut reaction would be to treat the cyano, not the dinos. The presence of dinos isn't a concern; it's when they become a monoculture.

I'd argue that it's a case of numbers. I know for a fact that I have prorocentrum dinos in my 20 gallon tank because I've taken sand/water samples and seen a couple every now and then since seeing them last June, but my tank still looks pristine. The difference is that when I see them now, it's maybe 1 or 2 per *slide*, versus 100+ per field of view when I dealt with the outbreak. It's really, really hard to get rid of all of a microorganism, and all it takes is a couple in favorable conditions (limiting nutrients, low biodiversity, etc) to cause an outbreak.

If I were to have cyanobacteria overgrowing my tank, but I saw a couple dinos in the cyano, my gut reaction would be to treat the cyano, not the dinos. The presence of dinos isn't a concern; it's when they become a monoculture.
Maybe thats the case...

Back