Our mission

Disease or pest on frogspawn?

Ive had this frogspawn in my tank for quite a while now id say over 2 years. 2 days ago I noticed 1 head was closed up and yesterday the head was showing signs of death.. The pictures attached are from today... Looks like tissue damage down below caused it but nothing fell on it or is missplaced. Im fairly confident i dont have a bristle worm issue or flatworms in my tank, nothing out of the ordinary has changed. All water params are spot on. Whats your guys take on it? I dont want to loose the whole piece..

Attachments

• 20210902_154257.jpg
    20210902_154257.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210902_154302.jpg
    20210902_154302.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210902_154314.jpg
    20210902_154314.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 133
Ive had this frogspawn in my tank for quite a while now id say over 2 years. 2 days ago I noticed 1 head was closed up and yesterday the head was showing signs of death.. The pictures attached are from today... Looks like tissue damage down below caused it but nothing fell on it or is missplaced. Im fairly confident i dont have a bristle worm issue or flatworms in my tank, nothing out of the ordinary has changed. All water params are spot on. Whats your guys take on it? I dont want to loose the whole piece..
Going to be a lot easier if you make a tank journal so we know details. Parameters being “spot on” means not much. Anything change recently?
Alk?
Ca?
Mg?
Nitrate?
Phosphate?
Temp stable?
Change in flow or lighting?

If you recently added some fimbrias from LFS or recently imported (wild coral chop and sell) then chances are they brought in some nasty bacteria that your resident corals are still trying to get used to. Did you add any new fimbrias or euphyllias?

This looks like a case for a antibiotic dip... you can see the tissue necrosis at the base. As @Chromis mentions, if you've added any euphyllias recently from a LFS, they can bring nasty bacteria along with them.

1) Melafix dip for 3 mins... 5ml melafix to 1 pint of water. rinse
2) Do a dip with 250 mg amoxcillin + 125mg cipro in 1 pint of water... 10 mins. rinse.
3) QT for 7 days using 250 mg cirpo per 10G (I use 1/4 tab in 3G to minimize pain), 100% WC and redose daily.

The alternate approach is if you have other euphyllias... cirpo your whole tank. skip step 3, and cipro the whole tank at 0.125mg / L of tank volume. 7 days... I prefer daily dosing but Aquabiomics use every other day dosing as minimum effective dose.

no carbon during this period of course

Back