Cali Kid Corals

DIY Fish Food

glee

John has been kind of enough to host a BAR Summer BBQ at his place July 13. This event is much more than a BBQ because we have Chad from Reef Nutrition as a speaker to tell us some nerdy fish things. Later that afternoon, BAR is hosting a fish food making event. Mark @rygh and I will coordinate this and since this is hosted by BAR, this is free to all Supporting Members. BAR will pay for all the fresh ingredients that go in to making a healthy nutritious fish food for our marine inhabitants. Links to the Summer BBQ and a previous Fish Food Making Thread are below. I highly encourage you all to attend. In fact, it is really important that you RSVP so we buy the right amount of ingredients. Feel free to comment on this thread about ingredients and outcomes of this event.

For me, I want to make two sets of fish food. One for carnivores and one for omnivores. You may want bigger chunks for larger fish etc. Some may want their food created in silicon trays; others may just want freezer bags. Let's hear your thoughts on it.

Summer BBQ
Fish Food making thread

Reactions: JVU
I tend to save the little blister packs that you normally get frozen food in.
Can you pop out one cube at a time from those trays? Many ice trays are not really built for that.

Thoughts from previous DIY food making party:
Probably can skip the random additives like selcon and garlic.
Be careful with fish bones and shrimp shells.
Have different recipes for carnivores / herbivores / fish + sps / fish + lps
Very messy, do blending outside where you can hose it down
Bring some dry ice to help quick-freeze it
Make sure to really label your food well. There was confusion at the end.

Back