got ethical husbandry?

DIY FSE

After a few months, I finally finished a sort of DIY thing; now I can take the tools back and work on the dry frag tank and maybe a work-bench I had in mind for quite a while.
Started as "Would you be interested in..." and today drove-in the last screw.
All hardwood FSC certified Machiche; pretty darn expensive, fastened with hidden screws; bee's wax an excellent lube to drive in screws, pricey at hardware stores but Rainbow Grocery has that by the pound.
My son helped on a day he was off (he was actually off the entire week, "Challenge Week") he says to want to be a civil engineer, I honestly don't see it in him but today Engineering is different with all the computers, software and what not. Back in the day was a T-ruler, squares, protractors, drafting table, many numbers, coffee...
Made some friends, around midday they would be let outdoors and keep me company. My daughter went to meet them, Beatrix, Germanicus and Scorpius.
1443402414500.jpg
1447269180371 (1).jpg
CAM00716.jpg
1452904859918 (1).jpg
CAM00746.jpg
1453054530675.jpg
CAM00806.jpg
CAM00750 (1).jpg
CAM00996.jpg
CAM00997.jpg

I would have built the railing all the way to the stair but not for me to decide so an opening of about 4' was left... What to do was next...
That's the side gate entrance so it had to be clear to carry material and for future use to have a straight walk way to the back without any obstacles I made a slide in/out short steps. Ready for BBQ season.
The concrete step is all there's left of the old stairs that led to the back; was very useful to climb up 30" off the ground, the height of the deck.
CAM00999.jpg
CAM01000.jpg

Is a bit high for a step, ~12"; my friends are aware of that, other two steps ~10". Trash containers are kept on the side so they asked for something to be able to just go down that way, that could be put out of the way.

Very nice!

I sadly just just paid someone to extend my deck.
I built the original, wanted to extend it a bit, but never enough time ... so had to hire someone.
Seeing your work, I am even more frustrated.

Nice new home you made for skunks, possums and raccoons :D

Is a bit high for a step, ~12"; my friends are aware of that, other two steps ~10". Trash containers are kept on the side so they asked for something to be able to just go down that way, that could be put out of the way.
Hope an inspector never comes to look at that, it's a no-no to have a step that high.

I know they are high, is just a convenience so my friends didn't have to go aaaaaaaaall the way to the end of the deck and around the railing... I would have gone rail all the way from the post of the upper stairs to the post of the stairs going down to the yard but FSE (for someone else) and in the case someone shows up to check, the railing will be extended. I was thinking the same thing about raccoons... also expressed the idea of using the underneath space for rain water containers, there's a down spout from the gutters in very close proximity but FSE, so it was just an opinion; water well is to cover for water needs in the garden (There's no power there for the pump) Idea is to get a solar panel up on the old AT&T post which BTW, all lines are dead; funny thing is AT&T came by few times to remove old non-working lines, fix a neighbor's issue and now the pole will be eventually removed... back to drawing board...
There's also the idea of future home remodeling, extending the back of the house and yup, moving the whole deck further back into the property; yes, moving it...
That might be done the Egyptian (ancient) way, roll it and lots of slaves; ahem, mean help.
I just listened...

When is comes to steps. Code is any thing under 2 steps u don't need a hand rail. 3 and more one hand rail is required. Unless the nose of the top step to the floor is under 48 inches if I'm not mistaken. Ur deck looks beautiful. I'm not to good with wood. I can BS it but metal is my forte I can weld/ make anything. But can't make a metal deck/isn't practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back