Kessil

DIY Hydra 26 mount

I had some 80/20 sitting in my garage so I decided to design some rackets and turn it into a hydra 26 mount.
Vertical piece is 1" sqr. and the horiz. piece is .500 x 1.00" 80/20.
The two are screwed together using an M6 screw then I printed a corner piece to clean it up and keep the two pieces square.
The bracket to mount the Hydra to the light mount has clearance to fit it over the .horiz. piece. This makes it easy to slide back and forth to adjust the position.
The printed mounting bracket for the 1" sqr. 80/20 has 3 vertical and 2 horiz. mounting holes to make the mounting nice and strong. It's screwed into a wooden cabinet top.
I added an M6 thumbscrew to the bracket and drilled holes every inch in the 80/20 to make vertical adjustment easy with positive clamping that can't slip.
There's a small piece to clean up the front surface of the horiz. piece still on the printer.
Production ready!
20210704_144713.jpg

20210704_144721.jpg

20210704_144743.jpg

20210704_145209.jpg

20210704_145220.jpg

Inspired!

I'm thinking of doing the same, since the hydra might be too heavy to clamp on to my tank glass, which is only 5mm thick.

What bracket is this? Is it mounted to the cabinet?
1625520320750.png

Inspired!

I'm thinking of doing the same, since the hydra might be too heavy to clamp on to my tank glass, which is only 5mm thick.

What bracket is this? Is it mounted to the cabinet?
View attachment 29503
That's why I made it. I hit the light one night feeding the fish and just about broke the glass. Yes, it's mounted to the cabinet top and back edge.
I can print you a bracket if you have a frag to trade for it. I may force you to take some of my frags too....lol.

That's why I made it. I hit the light one night feeding the fish and just about broke the glass. Yes, it's mounted to the cabinet top and back edge.
I can print you a bracket if you have a frag to trade for it. I may force you to take some of my frags too....lol.
Haha thanks! I do have access to 3D printers / fab equipment. So making stuff isn’t an issue :)

I don’t have a cabinet I can drill into, so I’m going to machine a heavy base from steel, powder coat it, and have the light cantilever over the tank from that.

Haha thanks! I do have access to 3D printers / fab equipment. So making stuff isn’t an issue :)

I don’t have a cabinet I can drill into, so I’m going to machine a heavy base from steel, powder coat it, and have the light cantilever over the tank from that.
Well that oughta do it! 6061 would be strong enough and a lot easier to machine.

Back