Cali Kid Corals

DIY Water changing system

Hi Reefers
Just want to pick your brains and see if anyone came up with a cleaver idea to make water changing easier. I am thinking a water changing push cart with pumps, need inspiration [emoji846].

- So currently what I do is I make fresh saltwater down stairs and fill it up on 5 gallon jug.
- Bring it up stairs.
- Mouth siphoning the tank water using a plastic tube into a 5 gallon jug.
- pour the fresh saltwater into a gallon bucket, then goes into the tank. My tank is an all in one tank, have to lift the water up 5 feet [emoji23]. And most of the time, I get my floor wet. My wife giving me the scary look.
Love to hear ideas. Thanks

also Pumping up from downstairs to my tank is not an option since is super far.

A small pump and some tubing helps avoid a lot of the lifting. But don’t underestimate what 100 feet of tubing and a strong pump can do! I finally broke down and bought 50 feet of wide tubing and was given a good pump and used that to pump my water which is outside into the tank in the living room and it saved me a lot of grief

I also have an AIO and I mix in a 12 gallon tote bin.
  • I fill 2 5 gal jugs with rodi and pour the 10 gal into the tote
  • Add my salt and a pump to mix
  • I use a tube with a siphon ball and start the siphon by squeezing, I drain about 4 gal into a bucket then pour that down the toilet then fill the bucket again
  • Then I put a pump that works in shallow water into the tote and pump new water into the tank until it’s at the right level
  • Any excess salt water get stored in a 5G jug
So I avoid siphoning with my mouth by using a ball siphon starting thing. I got a gravel vac from petco and removed the wide vacuum part. Then this pump and some 1/2” tube helps me never need to pour a bucket into the tank again. This one is pretty slow so it’s good for a smaller tank, if you had something bigger it would probably be tedious unless you got a larger pump.

XEOGUIYA 5W Submersible Water Pump, 105GPH (400L/H) Fish Pumps for Aquariums Fish Tank Fountain, Pond, Aquarium, Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08963MLX...abc_9T769GAHE7CG2A0ES6QB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Is mixing station under the tank is an option? I have my water mixing station under the cabinet and its a breeze on changing water. No more lugging 5g buckets and making a mess. I run RODI line & drain to the tank

Thanks guys
Unfortunately my cabinet is full, so no go on the mixing station.
I tried the pump method, but still make a mess haha.
I am trying to do research on little push cart dolly that holds two 5 gallon or a tote that's foldbe. That would make my life easier.

There was a maintenance guy named Caesar in this area that almost died from a vibrio (I think) infection some years back.

Back