Cali Kid Corals

DkH vs ALK ?

I am getting confused. Long story short I am cycling my 90 and my ALK is 7.3. Is that too high I see some articles of people keeping it at 5. But is this too high? Should I just continue to let my tank cycle? or start doing W/C.

7.3 meq/l
19 Dkh

So start doing water changes or just let the tank cycle and worry about it when the cycle is over?

Havent checked ca didnt think it was important during cycling. Should I check it? What should it bee 450-500?

You don't have any livestock in the tank now do you? I wouldn't worry too much about the high alkalinity levels if you're only cycling.

Also 19 dKH sounds abnormally/impossibly(??) high, you might be getting a false reading due to other stuff in the tank while cycling.

When you're done cycling, then worry about thinks like alkalinity and calcium. Personally I'd only worry about ammonia and nitrites until they read zero.

Erik what kind of kit are you using to test?

As everyone said don't worry to much about this until the cycle is done, but I would find out HOW to test as 19DKH seems damn near impossible

[quote author=Roc link=topic=6538.msg83938#msg83938 date=1235501234]

As everyone said don't worry to much about this until the cycle is done, but I would find out HOW to test as 19DKH seems damn near impossible
[/quote]

API's KH test kit. It took 19 drops to change the color of the sample.No livestock is in the tank. Just cycling LR, some micro alage and sand.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6538.msg83928#msg83928 date=1235498274]
You don't have any livestock in the tank now do you? I wouldn't worry too much about the high alkalinity levels if you're only cycling.

Also 19 dKH sounds abnormally/impossibly(??) high, you might be getting a false reading due to other stuff in the tank while cycling.

No livestock is in the tank. Just cycling LR, some micro alage and sand.

When you're done cycling, then worry about thinks like alkalinity and calcium. Personally I'd only worry about ammonia and nitrites until they read zero.
[/quote]

[quote author=Reefdad link=topic=6538.msg83942#msg83942 date=1235501673]

[/quote]

API's KH test kit. It took 19 drops to change the color of the sample.No livestock is in the tank. Just cycling LR, some micro alage and sand.

[/quote]

sounds like your test kit might be goners.

[quote author=Reefdad link=topic=6538.msg83942#msg83942 date=1235501673]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Isn't API tested in PPM, I thought you add drops and then mutiply by 10 so that would be 190ppm or 10.64 DLK which is still a little high but not outragous

Erik, the only reason I am taking back is you seem to be experenceing unreal numbers, hower if you are at 190ppm it would make sense

I am kind of lost. I did the test corecctly I thought. On the insert thast comes with the test it says add a drop shake and another shake and so on until it turns yellow. The number of drops is the result. And I got to 19 drops before it turned yellow. which was off the scale on the insert it only went to 12 or 13 i think. So I am kind of lost????

[quote author=Roc link=topic=6538.msg83976#msg83976 date=1235504725]
Erik, can you take some of your water into a store and have them test it?
[/quote]

I might do that but like Jeff said may be I wont stress about it till my cycle is over.

[quote author=reefermadness link=topic=6538.msg84013#msg84013 date=1235512266]
i keep mine at about 14 or 15 dKh. and my corals havent looked better. in ocean reefs it is typically 14-19dKh.
[/quote]

I would cation anyone who trys to keep there tank like an ocean, we should all remember we are breeding, keeping animals in captivity, it requires a whole new understanding. trying to make things as close to nature as possible is good, but very rarely can humans crete actual oceans in a small box in there living room.

Back