Our mission

Do I have dinoflagellates?

I think the biggest question to answer is what went wrong the first time that led to this?

I sort of have this spread out over multiple threads and I apologize for that. I tested my phosphates this afternoon and it came back with 1.6ppm which is super high. I have no idea why the phosphates are so high, as I mentioned I only have a 1 clownfish and 1 xenia coral and I feed the tank sparingly. I do have suspicions that even though I am reading 0 ppm on the TDS meter, my RODI water might be more "off" than I think.

Before I'd get started on a new tank I'd try to narrow it down. Testing RODI water is easy. Find a BAR member near you or an LFS near you. The truth though is most water in the Bay Area is exceptional and even a TDS of 25 isn't going to cause your issue most of the time. There's also plenty of us that feed 3 and 4 times a day and don't have a phosphate issue.

Last edited:
Where did you get the rock?
It can be loaded with phosphates.
Perhaps from previous tank.
If dry, sometimes it is dug up in a quarry, and loaded with farm fertilizer.

Given all the info, most likely source of phosphates was fish food.
A fun rule of thumb: The fish needs to eat about their eyeball size in food each day. (carnivores)
For a single clown fish, that is maybe 6-8 or so small pellets ideally : 3-4 twice per day.
Not all food is the same. Some has a LOT more phosphates than others.

Given all the info, most likely source of phosphates was fish food.
A fun rule of thumb: The fish needs to eat about their eyeball size in food each day. (carnivores)
For a single clown fish, that is maybe 6-8 or so small pellets ideally : 3-4 twice per day.
Not all food is the same. Some has a LOT more phosphates than others.
I had to learn this the hard way too.... When i noticed my shrimp pellet food was 30% protein I knew I had a problem...so now I only feed food that is around 50% protein or more.

Thanks. I've been feeding San Francisco Bay Brand frozen brine shrimp and cyclops, I cut off a quarter portion from both cubes and melt the in a small cup of tank water, then I dump everything into the tank. But judging by what rygh said, I definitely overfed even if it was just twice a week.

Back