Jestersix

Do my fish have ich?

I have 2 clowns, a yellow wrasse and a orange spotted goby in my 20 gallon.

The goby has no visible white spots at all
I'm starting to see some small white dots on the fins of the yellow wrasse
My clowns look like they are covered in white spots under blue lighting, however, under white light the spots don't look too white. The clowns have been in the tank longest. I've never seen them without some white spots but it seems to be getting worse .

All the fish are eating fine and the clowns eat food with garlic in them.

Not quite sure if it's ich or if I'm being paranoid but I'm not noticing any signs of stress, though I'm also not quite sure what to look for (no swimming against rocks, or breathing at the surface)

Couldn't get any good pics unfortunately

Keep in mind that ich is a tank disease as much as it is a fish disease; hence people’s success with the TTM method for quarantine and subsequent display intro. There are probably more people that have it in their systems than care to admit it. Some fish species are more susceptible (tangs for example). Keep you fish fat and happy, as ich takes advantage of the weak and hopefully the ‘fire’ will die out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that ich is a tank disease as much as it is a fish disease; hence people’s success with the TTM method for quarantine and subsequent display intro. There are probably more people that have it in their systems than care to admit it. Some fish species are more susceptible (tangs for example). Keep you fish fat and happy, as ich takes advantage of the weak and hopefully the ‘fire’ will BE KEPT UNDER CONTROL.
Fixed it

Is it possible for just the clowns to have ich and not the goby and wrasse?

The clowns were tank raised and first in the tank so it's weird they're the ones with it while the erasse and goby are fine...I don't think any fish is overly stressed and the clowns eat the most

The clowns were tank raised and first in the tank so it's weird they're the ones with it while the erasse and goby are fine...I don't think any fish is overly stressed and the clowns eat the most

No. As previous mentioned, ich is a tank disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's certainly possibly that only the clowns exhibit visible signs of parasitic infection, but I don't see where you think it's weird?

if you suspect ich, play it safe... take the fish out of your tank especially since it sounds like you only have a few, and do the following:

1. Run the tank fallow (no fish) for 28 days, which is the full lifecycle of ich. this will get rid of all ich in your tank as they will have nothing to attach to.
  2. Do a FW dip for the fish (2-5 minutes) and then do the tank transfer method... meaning every 2-3 days you move the fish into a different bucket for at least 14 days minimum and then hold in QT (or continue swapping) for another 14. (get 2 and then swap back and forth, cleaning out prior one and letting it dry for 24 hours+ after each use).
  3. During the tank transfers, I also combine this with hyposalinity treatment... I start from 1.026SG and transition down to 1.015 over the various tub transfers, then I hold at 1.015SG during QT and bring it back up to 1.026 towards end of QT period.
Ich can be present in the tank at all times, especially if you are introducing things into your system without dips and QT, etc. When fish get stressed, the ich can get a better foothold and become more prevalent...bear in mind that ich can also be hiding in the gills, etc...where you can't see. And what you do see is the adult stage of the ich before it eats its fill and then drop off to the bottom of your tank to multiply and start the cycle anew.

It's certainly possibly that only the clowns exhibit visible signs of parasitic infection, but I don't see where you think it's weird?
I just think it's weird that only the clowns are showing symptoms..they're supposed to be the hardest fish in the tank, but I think the ich is too advanced for one of them as he is now swimming erratically

This was the best pic I could get. The discoloration is essentially what I'm thinking is ich and it has over taken a significant portion

Attachments

• 20180802_075116.jpg
    20180802_075116.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 200
I just think it's weird that only the clowns are showing symptoms..they're supposed to be the hardest fish in the tank, but I think the ich is too advanced for one of them as he is now swimming erratically

This was the best pic I could get. The discoloration is essentially what I'm thinking is ich and it has over taken a significant portion
It's not at all weird for clowns to get ich. They are robust fish, but not immune to parasites by any means.

If you’re not seeing spots, it may not be ich. Clowns are susceptible to brook as well. Look up humblefish’s posts on R2R for details on what to look for and how to treat.

If you’re not seeing spots, it may not be ich. Clowns are susceptible to brook as well. Look up humblefish’s posts on R2R for details on what to look for and how to treat.

Doesn’t that kill much quicker though; like a day or two?

Also hypo of 1.015 does nothing. You need 1.009 for ich in hypo. Why water time lowering salinity and bringing it back up takes a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also hypo of 1.015 does nothing. You need 1.009 for ich in hypo. Why water time lowering salinity and bringing it back up takes a lot longer.

Do you really mean does nothing? Or would you say it's more accurate to say isn't totally effective? I for one thing it helps to go lower, and don't claim to know the point where it is "certain" to kill off "ich", which is why I ask.

Do you really mean does nothing? Or would you say it's more accurate to say isn't totally effective? I for one thing it helps to go lower, and don't claim to know the point where it is "certain" to kill off "ich", which is why I ask.

Well if you want to hypo to kill ich go low 1.009 otherwise it's not effective for killing the parasite.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish. @ 12ppt where you shock the ich.

Back