got ethical husbandry?

Do These Corals Encrust?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
We are planning to mount some frags on novelty frag plugs/rocks to grow out, so need to use ones that encrust. Do these?
mummy eye chalice
flat spongodes monti
leptoseris in general

Yes to the leptos,

No to spongodes, tends to finger upward.

Mummy eye might work, tends to to table a bit.

Suggestions:
cyphastrea, leptastria

Encrusting Montipora: Mystic, superman, sunset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lepto is your best bet there. The Mummy Eye might but you'd have to do some research on how much flow and light it would need to tend to table completely instead of having some short, squat peaks.

Most Lepto's are good growers too unless they are in my tank.

But this is the best one!
Girl.jpg

Although Pink Boobies would clearly be the correct choice for that application, Bruce.

Thanks for the info, you guys. Cyphastrea was the inspiration and I have some of those montis and one lepto. If all goes well, there may be some unusual frags at the March swap.

I would use that meteor shower coral... I have never seen it do anything but encrust. I've seen purple haze monti plate in order to traverse pukani rock so encrusting montis might not go where you want them.

Yep, I thought our meteor shower had stopped growing until I picked up its rock and saw it had encrusted all the way around, even in the dark underside. I thought we'd try some other corals, too. Thanks for the purple haze @Chromis !

Back