Kessil

Do Tuxedo Urchins scratch up acrylic aquariums?

I've seen the results, yes they do. I was at a store and noticed damage to an acrylic tank in the same pattern as I see the munching tuxedo leaves on the glass in my tank. I asked the store owner if an urchin was responsible and he confirmed that an urchin had done the damage in just a couple of days. The damage looked like the acrylic had been beaten with a chain--regularly spaced pits along a track. Then algae grew in the pits and was impossible to clean out.

Urchin teeth are amazing
. The purple rock urchins off the coast here in California have some of the strongest teeth known to science. They can grind stone to get at the bacteria and algae living in the porous rock.

I would point you towards the advanced aquarist article but I see you already asked a question (good luck getting an answer though, replying doesn't bump the article to the top like it does in message boards). I've had tuxedo urchins before (3 in one tank) for years and never have I noticed any damage on the acrylic. That said there's always the one guy who has an angelfish which doesn't touch any corals, and another guy can have the exact opposite observation.

Since I can't confirm that it was a tuxedo urchin that did the damage I suppose it's possible (likely?) that the tank I saw had been damaged by a different species. I'm pretty sure that the damage was done by some kind of urchin but it's not established that it was caused by a tuxedo/globe urchin.

FYI, I believe I saw an article on the subject, re:Sharp Teeth, and I think the reason they're so sharp is that they keep growing and fracturing off to ensure that there's always a sharp edge.

The Advanced Aquarists article on Tuxedo Urchins says that they don't harm acrylic tanks.
That's why I was checking. I for sure believe you guys. I guess urchins are out for my tank.

Another minus for acrylic tanks.
I like acrylic tanks because I can't break them, can easily drill them (and then later plug the hole,
when I change my mind) and can less easily lift them.
I think they are better for experimenting and messing around with.
In the long run, however, I guess glass tanks are better.

Thanks for your help.

I have had two in my tank for over year and I have not noticed them scratch up the tank. The biggest problem so far has been the homo sapian who owns the tank. I know exactly when each and every scratch was made.

It is possible that they would not scratch the tank if you keep it uber clean. I witnessed the urchin eating coralline algae off the acrylic and as it was eating it was scratching. They did not ever try to eat the clean acrylic.

Back