License to krill

does this look like starfire to you

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
I'd talk with the company pronto, if that's Starphire by name, then that's not Starphire, if it's "low iron" it may be questionably low iron, since that's not a brand product but just a description without any sort of actual legal definition (I think) then it could be lowER iron glass and particularly long panels may very well have a green tint, but not as much as regular glass.

Another test you can do is tape a piece of white paper (like super bright white) inside the glass and look at the paper from all angles, any green tinting should be noticeable.

Either way, talk with the company, you paid a premium for a product they didn't provide they should be trying to make it right and not try to flim flam you.

iCon

Supporting Member
You want to look at it straight up and down the pane, not at an angle. "Low iron" is relative - Who made the tank? My .02 - Looks low iron, but not starfire. Hard to tell from pics though.

Last edited:

Squist

Supporting Member
Can you guys explain for noobs what concerns you about "low iron" and Starphire brand? Is this a counterfeit issue? Just wondering.

bluprntguy

Supporting Member
Can you guys explain for noobs what concerns you about "low iron" and Starphire brand? Is this a counterfeit issue? Just wondering.
Low iron glass is made with less iron than regular glass. This makes it clearer and removes most of the green hue that you often see with regular glass. It’s preferred in aquariums for the clarity of the glass. The downside is the lack of iron also means the glass is softer and much easier to scratch. It’s also more expensive, which is why the OP is questioning whether his tank actually got built from starfire glass.

Starfire is the most well known brand name of low iron glass and the iron content is lower than most other low iron glass. The name starfire is often used interchangeably for low iron glass, similar to how people call all gypsum board “Sheetrock” or all tissues “Kleenex”.

I thought starfire is blueish or clear. I ordered this new tank advertised as starfire and the front and sides are obvious green.
Often only the front panel or front and sides is starfire. The drilled holes look clearer in the pics, but they are also further away. It’s been known to happen that manufacturers accidentally drill the front. Check to see if the panes look different.

Last edited:

Austin Wessel

Supporting Member
Gonna guess it's an SCA tank...it is Starfire glass, different from Staphire glass, that's no typo. SCA labels all their stuff as Starfire which is low iron glass (92% transparency versus true Starphire's 95-96%). It looks fairly green with lights off but once you fire up some lights it becomes a nicer bluer hue. I'm not sure if it's taboo to link to other forums, I found all this out when I had the same questions

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/are-sc-aquariums-starfire-glass-low-iron-glass.348982/

here is a side pic of my SCA tank with lights on and lights off

https://imgur.com/a/r3l6N3F

popper

Supporting Member
Yes it’s SCA. pending their reply. Shined a light top to bottom. All panels are green.

I have a 90 starfire and it’s definitely clear light blue.

Put a Kessil on top. Still green

Flagg37

Supporting Member
This is what my glass supplier gave me for samples. This is regular clear glass and their low iron glass (not Starphire). Like @bluprntguy mentioned, Starphire is a branded low iron glass made by PPG. Many other manufacturers have their own low iron product that varies in color and clarity. My supplier also was going to give me a Chinese version that had more of a yellow tinge to it but I regret now turning it down.

9CB03EBE-C0E0-4C96-AF7A-E50DC13ED6A0.jpeg
E93C36A2-DDF1-48D5-A593-83F6F7A2D956.jpeg

These are exactly the same thickness (3/8”). The color difference only gets more dramatic the thicker it gets. I typically use 1/2” so that’s 33% thicker and it makes such a difference.

It’s possible that what you got is a low iron glass but if it is, it’s not any good. It’s at least not worth paying more for (IMO).

Wlachnit

BOD
Staff member
Agree with all of the other posts. When I had my tank made, the owner made a big deal that he only used Starphire, and not any other brand, and that was why the tank was more expensive.

jccaclimber

Supporting Member
To my eye really good low iron has a bluish tint, not as good low iron has a greenish tint, and standard glass is dark green. The differences get more obvious as it gets thicker.

We really need tank manufacturers to start publishing more objective properties on the glass than just brand name. I’m sure there are plenty of decent low iron glass sources, but there isn’t a good way to tell based on how they are marketed today.