High Tide Aquatics

Don't buy lots of salt bags unless you can use them relatively quick.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Think it was a few years ago I bought a bunch of Instant Ocean boxes, I think 200g worth of salt in 4-50g bags because it was dirt cheap, like daaaaaamn was this made by Jebao cheap. Well fast forward to today, and I have a box of solid bricks. When I mean solid I mean the entire 50G bag was one solid piece of salt, so much for plastic bags keeping out any potential moisture.

Now I still used it, because hell all I was doing was making another rock holding vessel while I clean out my curing barrel, but still I needed to hit it with a hammer to break it up into smaller more manageable chunks. I mean I still managed to get 1.026 sG out of it, but I doubt the calcium and alkalinity are up there (and IO typically has lower calcium too).

Ok rant over.

Interesting. I had some pretty old bags of IO, stored outside in the shed, and never had an issue.
The individual bags is one of the reasons I use IO.
Although a box a year or so ago had a lot of brown crud after mixing, which bothered me.

Was it by any chance on sale cheap from Drs Foster/Smith?
That was the bad box, and I think someone on RC was complaining as well.

not 10 years :p Looking through my emails, I ordered it April 2016, so about 2.5 years ago.

And yes this was from DF&S on sale, didn't realize there was a "bad box" issue, I mean one of the boxes came with a hole in it I figured it was a shipping issue and I used that salt up almost immediately, but this stuff was in a box that looked brand new. Although I will say the bags did not look vacuum packed as the plastic was pretty loose on the salt brick.

You could give the bricks to @rygh since he mixes exactly 50 gallons at a time he could just dump it in his barrel and let it dissolve. No hammer and chisel.

I've died them for a year no issues unless wherever you are sitting is very humid I don't see an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you get your shipment damaged, you can claim a refund from defroster. Which was what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Salt can go bad when it turns into a brick.
Not the salt, but the Calcium/Alk.
Depends on how well it was mixed, but you can get a localized wet spot that
has really high Alk+Ca, and it will combine an precipitate out.

Yeah and since this is just salt water to store cured rock I really don't care about calcium and alk, in fact keeping it as dark as possible so nothing grows is ideal, all I want on my rock is bacteria :D

Back