High Tide Aquatics

Drill Bit for Live Rock?

Hello,

Anybody out there have a long drill bit for drilling live rock that I can borrow? I want to use acrylic rods but don't really wanna spring for a drill bit I'll use like twice in my life. Please let me know....thanks.

Viet

Masonry ones with the chisel can break many types of live rock. LIke Paul suggested during his Aquascaping talk, use a normal hole saw for softer rock.

Depends on the rock for me. I use 1/4," 3/8" and 1/2".

Acrylic doesn't stay rigid, it turns brittle where as fiberglass will pretty much stay in the same shape (for our use). I just can't get it cheap enough :(

GreshamH said:
Masonry ones with the chisel can break many types of live rock. LIke Paul suggested during his Aquascaping talk, use a normal hole saw for softer rock.
I used it all the time as long and you don't force it too much it will be fine. currently I use a ceramic bit and that works better but pricey. The regular bit gets dulled very fast even the softer rocks

northbay-reefer said:
GreshamH said:
I used it all the time as long and you don't force it too much it will be fine. currently I use a ceramic bit and that works better but pricey. The regular bit gets dulled very fast even the softer rocks

To each their own... your millage doesn't match mine :)

PVC gets brittle faster then any other of the listed materials.

So I guess a pvc frame to lift my lr is not a good idea ? I've used them previously in all my tanks with no problem. How long will they last before I get concerned about failure ? :O

Back