Our mission

Dump for shallow tanks - for you Patrick!

Thales

Past President
http://bmcacrylics.com/Coral_Frag_Wave_Tanks.html

Looks cool, prolly magnets that get overwhelmed by the weight of the water...

Hey I recognize this post... add Rich to the Jake/Gary list :lol:

Oh I'm just busting your chops.... and your cooking sucks!

It's very interesting indeed and I'd love to play on this project if anyone else is game :) Hey, a project for Green Marine after hours?????

YOu can hit me for the Gary comment, once, in the arm, at MACNA, and only after we've had more then a few drinks :lol:

Hey that is cool. It does look like a magnet (almost weak refrigerator magnets), also looks like holes at the top (safety overflow, good stuff) however one thing that is a bit odd near the end of the video it looks like as if its in full bore overflow for a moment before it pops, maybe magnets are a bit too strong? Eh.. either way definitely got a cool factor going on. Looks completely doable too, hell Taps even sells the all plastic piano hinges.

I wouldn't go with a hinge. Those get very hard to operate in water. I would use a piece of rubber or thin plastic for the hinge.

Yup one of the many things I was thinking. Wouldn't be as good for a cold water tank (silicone gets harder in colder water)

Thanks Rich. I like it. GreshamH brings up a good point--I wonder how long the hinge would last underwater. If you kept it dry though....all you would have to worry about is salt creep making the hinge stick. and the holes on top would prevent major disasters if it did end up sticking.

honestly doesn't look like the hinge needs to be underwater at all.

As soon as the water in one chamber gets higher than the other, you got a net pressure pushing towards it, the total force on that wall increases with height and depends upon the total surface area and wammo flood.

Back