Jestersix

Duncan not happy

One of the easiest corals I have in the tank is my duncan. It’s always open and fully extended, indicating that it’s been happy for the 3+months that it’s been in my tank. However, there now seems to be trouble in paradise. It’s been closed for 2 days now and I’m stumped as to why. The only things I have changed this past week is: 1. Switched from instant ocean sea salt to reef crystals. 2. Added uv sterilizer. Will be testing Paramus tonight but I’ve a feeling it’s not going to tell me much. Wonder if I should dip the coral and do another water change. Thoughts anyone?
6e2f3bb387145606feb6a52fc0f3c929.heic
0eaacc6cd0ad5169a684bcf04e74cf66.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those changes could be enough to bug it. Is there anything near by that might be coming in contact with it at night when you’re not looking?

Those changes could be enough to bug it. Is there anything near by that might be coming in contact with it at night when you’re not looking?
Can’t think of anything that would bug it at night. I do have an emerald crab and pistol shrimp, though this has never happened before.

If those changes might be enough to bug it, does it just need time? I only did a water change of 3g with reef crystals... would that really bug it? Also uv sterilizer can have negative effects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant answer the uv part but I have heard others mention coral reactions to salt changes. Personally when I switched brands I didn't notice any change. Id say just give it alittle time.

I've found Duncan's to be extremely hardy. One tank I used to service had a light fixture fall in it. Most corals died but the Duncan's closed up completely for two months then started coming back out and grew like weeds after.

Just give them time.

switching salt mix is a very big change, that is probably the cause. as others have said just give them time and they will recover

Usually a switch from IO to RC doesn't affect much. I know a number of high SPS tanks that go back and forth on those two depending on what's on sale. Unless it's a Nano that got switched over with a huge water change I doubt anything would notice. A 10 or 20% water change wouldn't change the parameters with those two salts by much. My guess is it's something else.

Back